LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Technico

Add vertical center for string indicators (and don't disable scrollbars on disabled indicators)

I have a rather large string indicator for displaying operator messages/alarms

and I would like to have the option for an automatic vertical center of the text,

so that all messages get displayed in the center of the screen (if too many lines, justify to top and display the scrollbar).

I also have a 2 line statusbar, but displaying a 1 line message that is not vertically centered, looks very strange.

The work-around I'm using now is to display the multiline string centered in a picturecontrol,

but I'm not a big fan of this fix because there are many boundary-conditions to keep in mind ...

Another annoyance is that to prevent selection of text in the indicator I often disable the indicator

(it looks unprofessional if an indicatortext can be selected in the GUI),

but if the displayed text is larger than the string indicator, the scrollbar is also disabled !?!? 

and therefore not controllable by the user

18 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
I strongly agree with the first idea. I agree with the second idea out of principle, even though it is not nearly as useful as the first idea.
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Yes and yes although I feel the second may be working as expected / designed.

Maybe an option "Allow selecting text" would be better than having to resort to disabling in the first place.....?

Message Edited by Intaris on 08-05-2009 09:26 AM
Message Edited by Intaris on 08-05-2009 09:27 AM
Omar_II
Active Participant
My work around for this is to use a flat square button from the Classic pallet and check the Lock text in center. Then use a property node to write to the Boolean text.
Omar
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
I finally came around to Kudoing this idea, because I do not feel strongly one way or the other about the second idea. Out of principle, I will have to agree that it would be more powerful to independently disable the text and scrollbar. In the future, please use separate ideas for unrelated topics so that they can be individually assessed.
shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

Also create the property center text vertically for:

• Ring Controls and Enum Controls
  • Ring Menu Button
  • Multi Column List Box
  • Tables
  • Combo Box
  • (anything forgotten?)

This list is collected from the messages tagged with justify text vertically.

GeoffF

Please, yes, I would have loved vertical centering, but it's not available.

--
Geoff Field, BE, CLAD, MIEAust
Professional geek, amateur stage-levelling gauge
OlivierL

I ran into this requirement once again this morning.  Definitely not the first time I would love to have access to vertical centering in a string control or indicator. 

Yusuke.T
NI Employee (retired)

I created an application which has this function.

It is written in Japanese but you can see how does it work by executing the application.

Comments and feedbacks for further improvement are very welcome!!

Vertical center for string indicators

mlok
NI Employee (retired)

Translated! added English comments.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-45540

MathieuSteiner
Active Participant
Got my vote. It should be integrated and shouldn't require extra code