LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shb

Add "Text to UTF-8" and "UTF-8 to Text" to the standard palette

Please add the two primitives "Text to UTF-8" and "UTF-8 to Text" to the standard palette, probably in the string palette. It is a pity to hide such a great "tool".

The primitives are included in the VI attached to this message:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/undocumented-function-quot-text-to-utf-8-quot/m-p/1034616#M460673

4 Comments
Jervin Justin
NI Employee (retired)

Hi shb,

We just launched a new branch of the NI Idea Exchange to foster ideas for LabVIEW Add-ons. The intent was to create a place for LabVIEW Add-on developers (both NI R&D and developers in the community) to find ideas that matter to the community.

This is part of our ongoing effort to enable LabVIEW developers to productize LabVIEW code. Some of the other things we’ve done this year were adding Licensing & Activation for 3rd Parties, launching the Compatible with LabVIEW Program and the LabVIEW Tools Network.

We’ve identified your particular idea as one that could potentially be made into an Add-on and would like to move it to this new Idea Exchange so that Add-on developers can easily find it. Would this be okay with you?

Thanks!

Jervin Justin
NI TestStand Product Manager
shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

Why? Is converting from and to utf-8 something only an add-on developer needs? Or should it be shown when installing an add-on?

Anyway, I like the efforts for add-ons you mention.

Greetings,

shb

Rob_Calhoun

LabView's ongoing lack of support unicode is a problem. I recently had to write something to check for the presence of a Unicode Byte Order Mark and remove it. Perhaps the UTF-8 to text function would have handled this transparently. I support the addition of this function and other Unicode manipulation functions to the LabView core.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Rob, and others -> Support Unicode