LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P@Anand

Add delete option while finding the items without callers!!!

We have the option for finding the items that doesn't have any callers in the Project. So it would be good if a "Delete" option is also available in the same window as shown below. The same option can be disabled if the item selected item is locked and can only be enabled if it can be really deleted from the project.

IDEA_Item_With_No_Callers.PNG

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
7 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

An idea so good, I'll Kudo it twice! This would be a really helpful feature to have.

JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

A "Move To" button would also be useful to move the items to a directory outside the project instead of deleting them.

stbe
Active Participant

Nice idea ... I build such a tool for myself a few years ago.

Deleting to the recycle bin / trash would be sufficient.

While deleting (removing from project and move file to trash) will cover many use cases, i suggest to add an additional option to simply "Remove From Project" while keeping the file on disk in its original location.

If the file is part of a library, both library and file should be updated to reflect the removal.

And even a third option comes into mind: Remove And Backup. This option would remove the file from the project and move it on disk into a specific folder (file dialog or configured in LV options).

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

And even a third option comes into mind: Remove And Backup. This option would remove the file from the project and move it on disk into a specific folder (file dialog or configured in LV options).

I'm with you Norbert. See my comment to add a "Move To" button.

RobCole
Active Participant

I like the idea, in theory.

Just wondering how this would work with VIs in libraries. Edit the library?

Or how about source code control? Check it out and delete it? I know  you mentioned disabled if the item is locked. But with some of the massive projects I have worked with, I do not like checking out the entire project to work on a few files. Especially in a team environment where someone else may be working on things.

What about dynamically called VIs? Would we need a way to exclude certain VIs or folders? Or select all then unselect certain ones?

There are some random thoughts from my end. A few things to think about.

r_exler

The function should have an option to limit it on the project members. At the moment is is just possible to sort the results by the VI's path.

It also might be a good Idea to have the option not to list VI's marked as top level application windows or used as startup VI's in a build. I have several projects with more than 10 top level VI's (and EXE builds), so filtering them automatically would be very useful.