cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FabiolaDelaCueva

Add Variant constant to the Cluster, Class, & Variant function palette

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

Every time I need a variant constant, I have to:

1) Pick any function from the Cluster, Class & Variant functions palette>>Variant

2) Place it in block diagram and right click>>create>>constant

3) Delete function.

I believe the variant constant should be in that palette.

I did a search in the functions palette for "variant constant" and it is not there.

Please add the variant constant to the Cluster, Class & Variant>>Variant function palette 🙂

Thanks,

Fab 

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
7 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

What exactly is a variant constant?  (Though after typing it, it seems like an oxymoron.)  Since a variant is essentially a datatype that can contain any kind of information, what data or default datatype should that variant contain when you drop it on the block diagram as a constant?

Can you give an instance where you needed to use a variant constant?

(OK, I just though of one.  When defining a datatype to be fed into something else like an obtain queue.)

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 03-04-2010 01:10 PM
CMal
Active Participant

Fab,

Another method I use to get a variant constant is to create a control from the Modern >> Variant & Class palette, then change it to a constant.  This may be a little faster your method of creating a constant from a variant function.

I agree that it would be very nice to have this on the functions palette.  I often need an empty variant constant when I use variant attributes. 

PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

If you use the OpenG libraries, the Variant palette contains a constant that can be dropped (used to be referred to as a merge vi)

openg_variant_menu.png

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Jokelnice
Active Participant

Returning to this publication. I think the creation of the Variant constant, is one of the key steps in using a design pattern (Producer / Consumer) for example, so this idea should be taken into account.

Ing. Jonathan E. Cruz Ortiz

ENERGÍA PROACTIVA S.A.S

Cel : (+57) 3173669343 - (+57) 3124451894

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed