LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcase

Add Timeout Input to Wait On Asynchronous Call Node

In LV 2011, an asynchronous Call By Reference feature was added to LV. This feature added a new node called the Wait on Asynchronous Call node. This new node has a timeout that is configured way way of a right click menu option.

It would be nice if the timeout was specified by way of a normal input that can be wired. This has several advantages:

• The timeout can be specified at run time
    • The timeout value can be visible on the diagram without right clicking and showing a dialog
    • The timeout would be more discoverable by users
6 Comments
archughes

Very needed!

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Searched the IdEx getting ready to post a new idea requesting a Timeout feature; fortunately, not only does this idea exist, it helped me realize this feature exists as well! It was "hidden" in the node context menu, and not advertised in the Context Help. Wish I could give this idea another +1, in addition to all the other good ones from jcase about the Asynchronous Call Nodes!

Bob_Schor
Knight of NI

I was just going to add this, myself.  I use this as part of a shutdown procedure when I have free-running clones, most of which should stop in an "orderly manner".  By doing a Wait with Timeout (say, 100 msec), I can "test if running" without hanging, and if still running, can choose to abort.  But it is tedious (and very hidden) to set the Timeout "by hand".

I see this Idea has been around since 2011, with 54 Kudos (I was #54).  I know it's not there in LV 2014 or LV 2015 -- if not now, when?

Bob Schor

Chris_Cilino
Active Participant

Can we please add this feature? The unfortunate alternative would be for us to create a proxy vi that declares an occurrence, passes the occurrence to an intermediary, and the intermediary would then call the vi of interest. Then we would have to get the values returned using vi server blah blah blah.... 

timeout input please....

TomOrr0W

@Chris_Cilino If you don't need the timeout to be set at runtime, the right-click option mentioned in the idea would probably work for the use case you mention.  The right-click option just lacks all of the advantages mentioned later in the idea.

Timeout Option.png

crandiba

Hi,

Adding my support for the idea, and my quite simplistic work around, if it helps,

Keep the "Wait on Asynchronous call" in a For loop, with a conditional terminal that is True on error.

Then, define a timeout-check-period like 1s and divide the desired timeout as multiples of this period to the N terminal of the for loop.

crandiba_0-1581352744507.png

Best,

cris