LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

Add 'Make Current Values Default' option to Save dialog

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I have done it again!  Every so often I get a VI running just the way I like it, save it (back it up as well), but when I go to use it the next time, all of my carefully chosen control values are gone.   Having seen similar problems on the forum (in both questions and answers), I am not the only one.  There is by default no keyboard shortcut to 'Make current values default', I have changed Ctrl-D (default) to do it so I usually go Ctrl-D Ctrl-S.  (Ctrl-D is set to do something else, I forget what, but I never used that shortcut anyway).  I suggest a modest change to the save dialog to add a little checkbox option (default unchecked) to 'Make current values default'.  A gentle reminder the first time we save a VI.

NewSaveDialog.png

7 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I agree... that has been an asschapper for me in the past also. I just don't know if I agree with the suggested implementation. The main reason is this: I never use the blanket "set all values as default", but instead carefully select which FP objects I actually want to set the current value on.

Just throwing this idea out, not saying I agree with it, but maybe it can spark discussion: If a FP object has previously been set to a non-NULL default value, the save dialog gives a gentle reminder if the current value differs from the previously set value. The reminder would list the labels of the FP objects, and you could have the option to "Set as Default and Save" or "Discard and Save".

MathieuSteiner
Active Participant

Yes we need a tool to save selected controls values as default.

I'd rather go with Mechelecengr's idea, but the need is the same...

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I am open to all implementation suggestions, I'd just like to see something.  I figure that you see this option when you are saving a VI for the first time, or doing a Save As.., both times you are likely to have tweaked FP values.  If you don't want to check the option, at least you are reminded to go back and check your default values.  I agree that if I did a test run and dropped a million values into my chart I probably wouldn't like that to be the default.

I really hate when I do this with a sub-VI and then don't wire the connector since I assume the default value is set to something I like.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I think we're on the same page... I'd like to see something... but don't know what that something is...

Unfortunately, this may be one of those instances where "programming out" human error is prohibitively difficult, or at best annoying if you don't care about the warning.

Yeah, I'd like to see something, but right now (from a software developer's point of view) I'm telling myself to just suck it up.

Manzolli
Active Participant

How about a button in the FP's tool bar the becomes grayed if all values are equal to the default ones. If any control changes the button become availeble to perform "Make Current Values Default".

Next to this button, will be nice another one to perform "Reinitialize Values to Default".

The problem with the save dialog option is that very often I use Ctrl+S or  Ctrl+Shift+S to save.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
jfischer

My suggestion would be this:

1) CONTROL/INDICATOR PROPERTIES DIALOG:  Add a "File Save" tab to the control/indicator "Properties" dialog, and on that tab provide a "sticky" check box option that makes the control's/indicator's current value its default value when the VI is saved--e.g., "Make Current Value Default when Saving".

2) VI PROPERTIES DIALOG (CTRL+I):  Add a "File Save" category, and under that category provide two check boxes:

"Make Current Control Values Default when Saving"

"Make Current Indicator Values Default when Saving"

These options would allow the programmer to save en masse all control/indicator values when saving.

3) VI WINDOW "EDIT" MENU: When one or more controls/indicators are selected, display a new menu item "Make Selected Values Default when Saving" (e.g., place it directly under the "Make Selected Values Default" option). Clicking on this option would check the "Make Current Value Default when Saving" check box (see option 1 above) for each selected control/indicator.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.