LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P@Anand

Ability to Move the control/indicator/function out of the loop/structure without breaking wire

Available in LabVIEW 2017 and later. Dragging items into and out of structures will retain the wiring across the structure border. You can press 'W' during the dragging operation to revert to the old behavior where wiring is not retained.

I searched for this Idea but I guess its not posted (If posted please excuse).

While moving the control/indicator/function (Unbundle cluster) outside the loop/structure the wire gets broken but it would be handy if we can move the controls without breaking the wire so reduces re-wiring. This will be very useful when it is implemented with all these. So the idea is to move any wired object without breaking the wire.

Control move 5.png\

When the idea is implemented its easy for clearing

Control move 6.png

The same for the controls and indicators

Control move 1.png

Control move 2.png

Control move 3.png

I guess this would be more usefull while cleaning the code.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
14 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I don't think I would want this to happen all the time, but it might be useful with a modifier - i.e. if you drag a selection with Alt held down, then when you drop it LV reconnects all the wires to their source or end.

This is related to (same as?) this idea.

Also related is this.

CLA
www.dvel.se
vt92
Active Participant

Good idea.  I agree with tst to use a modifier to trigger the behavior.

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
YavannaKementári
I like the idea, kudo'ed. To build on tst's idea, perhaps there can be two methods: one that rewires things, the other that just disconnects without leaving broken wires behind.
Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

I would rather it keep the wire connected unless you hold a modifier instead of the opposite. It's easier to select the boundry objects that's created and delete and press ctrl+b that moving things outside and rewire those 4 controls or worse that unbundle.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Dragis
Active Participant

Another option would be to add two transactions to the undo stack. Moving the nodes with internal wiring is the first operation followed by the reconnection of wires on the boundaries. If you move the node and don't want the wires, just hit undo once. Quick and easy.

fabric
Active Participant

I like Dragis' idea Smiley Happy

By the way: Is there precedent for this in LV?? I've certainly seen the concept of multiple undo transactions suggested elsewhere, and I think I've even suggested it somewhere too... So, is it just "nice in theory" or is there a realistic chance that this kind of solution could find its way into the IDE?

Spoiler
And before anyone complains, NO this will not confuse new users so much that they drop LV and take up python! Smiley Tongue

beuvink

I don't like the idea to much...

I came to this idea via http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/include-or-exclude-code-in-loop/idi-p/2475112 and there I see a big risk. When dragging something inside/outside a loop, this has a big impact on functionality.

When dragging/dropping is this easy, there is risk that while cleaning up code you change functionality.

If it would be implemented like tst suggests (e.g. while pressing alt) of course it is safe and I am for it 🙂

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

I don't understand the risk here. When you have broken arrows then only the risk comes, if there is no wire break why a functionality change comes?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW 2017 and later. Dragging items into and out of structures will retain the wiring across the structure border. You can press 'W' during the dragging operation to revert to the old behavior where wiring is not retained.