LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

A Better "List Unsaved Changes"

This is a neat tool I have only recently begun using heavily, but there are some big drawbacks that I would like corrected:

ListUnsavedChanges.png 

1. The window is not resizeable. As you can see, virtually all of my VI names overflow the "VI List". Also, I would like to see "Changes" have more line items vertically. (Similar idea: Allow Find All to be Resized)

2. I cannot double click the VI's in "VI List" to open that VI. More often than not, I want to check out those VI's to see if the "changes" are legit.

3. I would further like to be able to double click each line item in "Changes" and have the BD zoom and focus on that change, just like it does when you "Tools > Compare > Compare VIs..."

4. This window is modal, so I can't even do #2 - make it floating. (Another modal window woe: Make Build Error Window Floating, Not Modal where I explain a brute-force-screenshot workaround).

5. A huge help would be if the list of "changed" VIs could be shorter in the first place just by using the Do Not Save Option

These five ideas are just some basic UI improvements that would make this feature much more usable and powerful.

5 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
I agree with you (check out the last sentence here), but I also want to point out that there's a feature in the current beta which might help with some of the issues this dialog currently has. I suggest you apply to check it out.

... and what might that feature be?  I am using 2012 and I don't see any difference in the appearance or behavior of this dialog box.

Thanks.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

The feature I was refering to is the ability to separate the compiled code from the VI. This will cause LV to only ask you to save VIs which have actual code changes, which can make a BIG difference.

My main problem with this window is that the width of the VI list is ridiculous. The name of the VIs can't be seen, so they must be checked one-by-one. New functionality in this window is also welcome, but simply a new window with adjustable sizes would be a big step forward on my opinion.

Come on everyone. Send some Kudos to this great idea.

d.w.b

I'll Kudo the idea but primarily just for #1 (make is resizable). #3 zoom and focus seems too involved; I prefer NI devs do other ideas. #5 I don't understand.