Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reputation Sync

Hello Forum users,

We have been working on a project to sync Forum reputation with Community reputation. I will break down what this project entails.

Single Sign On

What is changing?

When this goes live, you will be able to log into the Forums, navigate to the Community, and will be automatically logged in. You will also be able to log into the Community, navigate to the Forums, select “Sign On”, and will be automatically logged in.

How will this benefit you?

There will be no more hassle of logging in a second time. If you log into one environment, you are automatically logged into the other.

*** When Single Sign On goes live, it is important to know there will not be a Single Sign Off feature yet. So please be sure to log out of both environments if you are using a public computer. This Single Sign Off feature has recently been developed but is currently being tested. It will be pushed live after Single Sign On with the remainder of the Reputation Sync project. 

SSO.PNG

New Ranking Icon

What is changing?

Unless you are a Knight, the current ranking icon is defined by three boxes explained by the breakdown below. As activity levels increase, the boxes deepen in shade.

Old ranking icon explanation.PNG

These shade differences result in many different, unintuitive combinations.

Old ranking combos.PNG

The new ranking icon will only represent contributions. Today only these contributions are what determine your title (Trusted Enthusiast, Proven Zealot, etc.). The major milestones of reaching Active Participant, Trusted Enthusiast, Proven Zealot, and Knight of NI will remain the same, and we are also adding a few new titles to encourage participation and collaboration in the NI Forums and Community.

New ranking icon.PNG

What counts as a “contribution”? Today only posts, ideas, and idea comments count as a contribution. You are not receiving credit for any contributions in the NI Community. Going forward with the reputation sync, “contributions” will include the following and will all be weighted equally as 1:

Forums: Posts, Ideas, Idea comments, FAQ (in the future)

Community: Documents, Blog posts, Discussions, Comments, Polls

We are investigating other ways to reward users for reaching milestones regarding content such as kudos, tags, accepted solutions, etc. As mentioned here, badges are also being considered.

The new ranking icon is easier to understand and is more intuitive. A new box is filled in as you contribute more. This will help you better visually identify who is most active in the Forums/Community. You will also be rewarded more often with new titles to encourage participation. By taking Community activity into account now, you can reach these milestones more quickly. Lastly, the new ranking icon provides an easier way of identifying member activity without knowing what the various ranking titles mean (ex: Proven Zealot, Contributor, etc).

New Profiles

What is changing?

Once the Forum and Community reputations have been combined, each of the profiles will be slightly altered. The current Community profile does not show a ranking icon or title. When Reputation Sync is pushed live, the same ranking icon and title will appear in both the Forums and the Community. There will also be a supplementary breakdown of Community activity in the Forum profile and Forum activity in Community profile. Below are tentative mock ups of the future profile pages.

Community profile missing email.png

Forum profile.PNG

You’ll be able to view all metrics that contribute to your reputation from both your Forum and Community profiles. You will also have a consistent ranking icon and title displayed in both places.

Alias Alterations

What’s changing?

As you can see below, your alias in the Forums can contain a space, but in the Community that space is removed.

Alias alterations.PNG

Because our Community cannot handle spaces and because a space is considered a universal work break which doesn't work in "keys" that well, spaces will no longer be recognized in aliases. Affected users will be contacted and given the opportunity to alter their alias in their NI.com profile by a certain deadline. If the alias has not been altered by that deadline, by default, aliases containing a space will be replaced with an underscore “_”. So “Steve Chandler” will be automatically changed to “Steve_Chandler”.

NOTE: If an alias does need to be altered, we will give you the opportunity to create a unique alias with no spaces. If aliases with spaces still remain, National Instruments will automatically alter the alias and you will be informed of the change.

In order to have one streamlined reputation across the Forums and Community, this change must take place. Removing the space, replacing with an underscore, or changing the alias completely will allow you to be known as the same person, with the same alias, in both environments.

How will this sync take place initially and in the future?

Upon Go-live, an initial push of all activity to date will populate both profiles. No one will be demoted in ranking icon or title. If anything, active users in the Community may be promoted.

In the Forums

• Contribution points from Forum activity will update in the Forum profile immediately
  • Contribution points from Community activity will update in frequent intervals
  • Community activity breakdown within the Forum profile will update when user logs back in

In the Community

• Contribution points from Community activity will update in the Community profile immediately
  • Contribution points from Forum activity will update once the user logs back in
  • Forum activity breakdown within the Community profile will update when user logs back in

Jordan

Forum Moderator

Message 1 of 26
(10,897 Views)

I really like the new community glyphs- are they visible to others?  (WHOA! My status is not "calculating" any more!)

Nice Change!  Thank you

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26
(10,879 Views)

It's quite interesting to monitor all those efforts concerning colors, badges, kudos, stars, metrics... I guess that's the spirit of time Smiley Wink

Honestly, I still do not understand why posting 150 questions is honored so much more than authoring 5 solutions.

Message 3 of 26
(10,867 Views)

This is the interweb where is all about traffic hits views etc.

A question invites traffic in the thread. A solution kills it.

Regarding this reputation thingy...

Is there a page anywhere that lists all top to bottom?

Aside from writing code to crawl the forum, where can we look?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(10,858 Views)

This should be a nice change. I think that there will be more incentive for people to participate. Adding extra levels will also help people have more to strive for. After hitting 2000 right now you have a very long way to go to get to 5000 and even more to 10000. It is a big time investment to get to these numbers and more incentive is good to help people come back.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(10,845 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

(WHOA! My status is not "calculating" any more!)

I am always calculating, but nobody needs to know that. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(10,835 Views)

Single login: at last! Kudo for that. As for the rest: I thought my bars were just oxidizing the more I was exposing them to fluorescent light.

Message 7 of 26
(10,661 Views)

We are gonna get the Icon changes Smiley Very Happy Ha ha ha no change for the Knights Smiley Tongue

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(10,578 Views)

@P Anand wrote:

We are gonna get the Icon changes Smiley Very Happy Ha ha ha no change for the Knights Smiley Tongue

Sheding the bars was part of my motivation* to Go for knighthood.

Like a shaved scrotum, "I suggest you try it." (Dr. Evil).

Ben

* You know motivation like looking forward to hitting the ground while falling.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 26
(10,541 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@P Anand wrote:

Sheding the bars was part of my motivation* to Go for knighthood.

Like a shaved scrotum, "I suggest you try it." (Dr. Evil).

Ben

* You know motivation like looking forward to hitting the ground while falling.

Thats a long run for me to go. But I'll try to run faster and better.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Message 10 of 26
(10,509 Views)