Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close parenthesis displaying as smiley faces makes code difficult to read and copy

altenbach wrote:
I would prefer to see all the classical "typed" smileys, except for the "double-quote + right-parentesis". This one is just silly and redundant.

A test ") 😉

The double quote right parenthesis makes no sense to me as a shortcut for a winky smiley.  In normal casual e-mail if I wanted to wink, it would be either ; ) (without the space) or ;-).

Further edit.  😉  semi paren,   😉   semi dash paren.  ")   quote paren  ')  apostrophe paren  🙂  colon paren  🙂  colon dash paren

I was surprised to see two winkies on my first line  (why does it keep the quote if the quote is what make the parenthesis a winky smiley).  But now I see that the semicolon parenthesis combination also makes a winky smiley.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 11-19-2008 09:08 PM
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(3,888 Views)

As explained in my earlier post, the problem is incorrect html substitution.

If you look at the HTML code,the double quote gets converted to " and the trailing ; of this, combined with the parenthesis, creates the smiley. The quote still stands, because the ";" delimiter that got eaten by the smiley is now implicit. The &quote (now without the semicolon at the end!) still gets formatted as a double quote.

The underlying code is simply not waterproof. This was never meant to be a smiley, but occurs by accident. 🙂 I think similar problems occured in the past e.g. if there was a nonbreaking space or any other character code that ends with a semicolon, followed by a parenthesis.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(3,878 Views)

Hi Christian,

Thanks.  I understand what you are saying now.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(3,860 Views)

I have reported many editor problems as well as the quotation-parentheses converting to an emoticon issue and the slow emoticon window loading.  I know that Lithium is working on improving the editor in general, but I don't have any idea of when we might see the changes. 

We've had the automatic emoticon replacement for certain text combinations [example:  : - ) ] for quite a while now.  It is configurable by user as I pointed out.  Is there anyone who likes to use the automatic replacement?

Thanks,

Laura 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(3,858 Views)

Laura F. wrote:

Is there anyone who likes to use the automatic replacement?

I use it occasionally (more after the new editor was introduced), but I don't use emoticons that much anyway. I usually avoided using it because I knew that if someone enabled that option they wouldn't see them.

P.S. People who don't have macros, can use the macros to store the full code for the emoticons (the one beginning and ending with colons). You can probably get it by dropping emoticons and switching to HTML view. Of course, this won't solve the problem of accidental emoticons.

(3,855 Views)
Perhaps this will change your mind. Smiley Very Happy
Message 16 of 16
(3,809 Views)