Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last minute questions on CLD

I am about to take the CLD exam tomorrow, and I've got some last minute questions:

• It seems that a project is not provide in the exam, so I am planning on creating one in the same folder as the top level VI. Is that OK?
  • Is the first two pages of the exam documents always the same? i.e. the instructions page and section 1: general requirements page. If they are the same, I will skip reading them and save a little bit of time.
  • I am very bad at icon design, so most of the time I just put some text in the icon decribing the function of the VI. Is that considered bad documentation for the exam? Should I try to make nicer icons?
  • I need to bring my own computer. Which version of LabVIEW should I install? Is the newest one (2016) ok?
  • Last one: if I accidentaly screwed up the front panel or one of the provided controls, what should I do? Is there some kind of back up?

That is pretty much all the questions I have. I really appreciate any comments or answers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,320 Views)

Hi AnZn, 

Here are my responses to your questions:

• There is not a .lvproj file, you are free to create one in the root directory/same folder as the main VI. 
  • The first two pages are always the same.
  • Text icons is fine. 
  • Whichever you are most comfortable with. LabVIEW 2016 is fine.
  • I suggest creating a 'backup' copy of the USB stick in case this happens.

Best of luck on your exam!

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,308 Views)

@AuZn wrote:

I am about to take the CLD exam tomorrow, and I've got some last minute questions:

• It seems that a project is not provide in the exam, so I am planning on creating one in the same folder as the top level VI. Is that OK? the project will be provided  EDIT: If Nathaniel and I differ on that. Create the *.lvproj.  I have insider information on how your test will be graded.  You NEED a project. (Per inside information from - well, Nate among others. If I am off on that NI C&T needs to chat with me again.
  • Is the first two pages of the exam documents always the same? i.e. the instructions page and section 1: general requirements page. If they are the same, I will skip reading them and save a little bit of time.Read them, it is worth the time of any Software developer to read specifications in whole. I still say read them!  They may be the same from current scenario to current scenario.  Read them anyhow! its good practise as a general rule and only 2 pages.

• I am very bad at icon design, so most of the time I just put some text in the icon decribing the function of the VI. Is that considered bad documentation for the exam? Should I try to make nicer icons? nope, anything other than default will help the next developer to use your code (maintain you code) efficiently.  Default icons are worse that you can possibly generate!  Save as template or glyph should be in any CLD Candidates Icon Editor lexicon,,,, Just hit the help and the menus of that well documented framwork.
  • I need to bring my own computer. Which version? Delete LabVIEW.ini.  (or rename it) be ready to change those options within moments (Vote for MyLabVIEW on the Idea exchange!) Said enough, no extra edits needed
  • Last one: if I accidentaly screwed up the front panel or one of the provided controls, what should I do? Is there some kind of back up? File>>Revert.  You should not have to use it... You seem ready Oh, and ... don't screw up! or at the least, document where you would clarify requirements with your CLA that assigned you that taskSmiley Wink

That is pretty much all the questions I have. I really appreciate any comments or answers.

I Know it is late the day before you sit the CLD.  Relax.  Your questions show that you are more concerned about the tech aspects than the context of the exam.  Dang! I wish I had been in that possition!  

Post back tomarrow- I'd like myself and NI to hear your obsevations from that point of view!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,284 Views)

I appreciate all the comments. I actually got to read this in the morning before my exam and they are really helpful.

So I took the exam this morning. The biggest challenge of CLD to me is time constraint. A recommendation I would give from my experience is that in the last 30 min, do not make any changes to the code that is already working. I accidentally broke my program when there was only 20 min left when I was trying to simplify some Boolean logic and you can imagine the pressure. Luckily I found the cause of the problem quickly, but it was a really nervous 5 minutes. Use the last 30 min to check documentation, run VI analyzer, or just sit back and relax. Don't let a mistake in the last 30 minutes destroy the work of more that 3 hours.

Message 4 of 4
(3,270 Views)