Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLA Elevator Soltuion

Hey Everyone, 

My CLA exam is on Friday (It's Monday today). I wanted to get some feedback for my attempt at the elevator exam. I've not looked at the exam before trying it today, and I stopped as soon as I hit four hours. If you have any advice before the exam I'd appreciate it. I think I was a little slow getting the requirements done, only managed about half of them I think. Feedback is appreciated and will get kudos!

Thanks 

Daniel

Daniel Harryman MEng
CLA, CPI
Message 1 of 4
(3,982 Views)

Good luck!

• You definitely want to get more than 50% of the requirements in there. I managed to get all of them even if I just dropped the requirement with no code in the general area of where it should go. You should be throwing requirements around like crazy once you have your architecture skeleton put together, then, go back and add more comments or code where needed.
  • You should treat the exam a lot like an essay (but without proofreading) and just spit all of your thoughts in to the code. You can even write "Out of time, code to do XYZ goes here"
  • You're using the same architecture I used to pass mine! As long as you make that first template module and API and duplicate it correctly, that saves you a lot of time.
  • You use a lot of Data to Variant nodes. I don't think NI's version of this architecture uses those when setting data values with the API, so you can save some time by not including these. Though, you learned from that architecture more recently than I did, so they may have changed their stance on that.
  • A lot of your states are empty. This goes back to what I said above about just throwing requirement tags everywhere. You really should make sure to include at least the requirement tag for each state because that takes very little time and you will lose points for empty cases.
  • You could use a little more documentation on your VIs. At least your main level VIs should have some description of what that module's purpose is.

All-in-all, your architecture is put together nicely, you just need more information about what your code is going to eventually do. I hope some others take a look and have further instructions as it's been a few years since I took the exam.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 2 of 4
(3,965 Views)

Hi James, 

I'll make sure I put down as many requirements as I possibly can, and I'll put in a detailed VI description for each module library. Other than that I'll just do my best and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback!

Daniel

Daniel Harryman MEng
CLA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,909 Views)

Thanks for sharing the material . i am also preparing for CLA and this is a good start for me .

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,700 Views)