From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLA Auto-populating folders in projects

Why are Auto-pop folders "Required" according to the CLA prep material for the CLA exam?

Yes, this is another "Jeff Question"!  Auto-pop does not work with "project templates"  so it definitively does not work as a *.lvproj base architecture. Sitting the CLA Exam I can use shipping examples of *.lvproj files but, NOT ones that contain "Auto-pop" folders?  HOLD IT

Yep HOLD IT! I said it TWICE!

Auto-populating folders do not work with "Project Templates".

Also the project explorer "views" quite definately define views on disc vs views on target.  FQN trumps location every time! (Just require a FQN!)

So, why require methods that cannot be implemented well?  Stop Auto-populating folders!  They were a bad invention that fixed the trouble with *.llbs.  Do not require that poor use as  a CLA test requirement.  [CAR# Requested]

And@ Tim I have my exam scheduled

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1 of 7
(4,312 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Good Luck

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,284 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Finally!  How long have I been bugging you about that?  3-4 years?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,264 Views)

Hi Jeff, 

Could you point me towards where this is in the prep material? I'm going to make a note to change that in our next revision. 

Directory structure is graded on the CLA, but auto-populating folders are by no means required. 

-N

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
Message 4 of 7
(4,260 Views)

@Nathanael wrote:

Hi Jeff, 

Could you point me towards where this is in the prep material? I'm going to make a note to change that in our next revision. 

Directory structure is graded on the CLA, but auto-populating folders are by no means required. 

-N

See section 2.b.2 on pg 5 of the prep guide

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,252 Views)

Seems, that it's still there - I've dowloaded preparation materials couple weeks ago, and autopopulating folders are still listed in Project Organization and Hierarchy section...

logos_middle.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,895 Views)

@kosist90 wrote:

Seems, that it's still there - I've dowloaded preparation materials couple weeks ago, and autopopulating folders are still listed in Project Organization and Hierarchy section...

logos_middle.jpg

Those guides don't change overnight.  The clairification, and my feedback, have been noted by the appropriate NI team members and, I do not doubt that the change will be included in the next rev of the document.  It is probably not enough of a change to warrent an immediate revision.  Until then, Its documented here along with NI's official position on the issue.  (Another one of the great reasons why I strongly support this Board on the Forums!)

Message 7 of 7
(3,848 Views)