BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

least expensive equipment with LXI

I am trying to learn how to use VB.NET to communicate with a piece of test equipment that implements LXI.

Not for work but as a learning exercise.

The Rigol DS1102Z-E oscilloscope supposedly implements LXI. It sells for $279.

Is there anything that is cheaper?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,291 Views)

Why exactly LXI? are you trying to learn to use VISA?

If you search, you may find a few open source projects where they simulate a VISA device using Arduino like this one https://github.com/davidfokkema/arduino-visa-firmware

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,289 Views)

@santo_13 wrote:

Why exactly LXI? are you trying to learn to use VISA?

If you search, you may find a few open source projects where they simulate a VISA device using Arduino like this one https://github.com/davidfokkema/arduino-visa-firmware

I know VISA, and I mainly use it with LabVIEW.

LXI doesn't require a GPIB hardware which is pricey if you buy NI.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,276 Views)

You could do the same thing with a device that communicates over RS-232.  One option is to get a couple of USB-RS232 devices and a NULL Modem cable and then you can simulate your own device straight in whatever language you want.  You could also skip all hardware and try com0com.  I have not tried this software yet, but I have heard positive results from some people around here.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,172 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

You could do the same thing with a device that communicates over RS-232.  One option is to get a couple of USB-RS232 devices and a NULL Modem cable and then you can simulate your own device straight in whatever language you want.  You could also skip all hardware and try com0com.  I have not tried this software yet, but I have heard positive results from some people around here.

Thanks.

I can do that with Arduinos.

I really want to do LXI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,123 Views)

@psuedonym wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

Thanks.

I can do that with Arduinos.

I really want to do LXI.

Treat your LXI Device as a VISA Ethernet resource.  See here for starting out with instrumentation.

Then watch this to set up the MAX Configuration.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,048 Views)