BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carnac the Magnificient - sarcastic answers to serious questions/comments

I often have a sarcastic/silly answer to a post but don't want to interrupt the thread with noise, so I [often] hold my tongue.  I know some people appreciate humor, so I thought a separate thread in BreakPoint would be a good place for these less-than-helpful answers.  In addition to being snarky, I thought we'd make this into a game by posting an answer to another thread and everyone else has to guess which thread it answers.  I'll start.

Answer: It seems that you didn't go to school in the U.S.

Spoiler

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Circle-Plot/m-p/3136262/highlight/true#M901899

GerdW wrote:

Hi Christian,

I'm glad I got this right before you could engage in this thread Smiley LOL

@Toecutter:

Atleast for me complex numbers were taught in school (9th or 10th grade), with exactly that example: how to display sine/cosine values in the complex number plane…

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 298
(17,591 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I often have a sarcastic/silly answer to a post but don't want to interrupt the thread with noise, so I [often] hold my tongue.  I know some people appreciate humor, so I thought a separate thread in BreakPoint would be a good place for these less-than-helpful answers.

I appreciate this humor, and am glad you found your own outlet for such comments.  I've typed up a few and not replied.  Another thing I've been tempted to do is reply to ill-formed questions and broken English with my own ill-formed answer and broken Spanish.  Not everyone is fluent in English and that's fine, but that's why other non-English sub-forums exist.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 298
(17,569 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
[...]  I've typed up a few and not replied. [...]

I've done that three times today. 😄

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 298
(17,559 Views)

I've done this (only once I think) in the Idea Exchange, and regretted making the comment as it made it more difficult to seriously evaluate the idea (sorry altenbach / AQ).  The idea was Add Roman numeral conversion tools and followed this comment:

VIs to do this will be in Beta 2 of LV 2015 in vi.lib\string\Roman Numerals.llb but will not be added to the palettes due to the lateness of the hour. They will be added to the Hidden Gems of 2015.

Spoiler

I am SO excited to see this has been given top priority and will be available in LV-MMXV.  Surely Minerva, goddess of wisdom, war, arts, schools and commerce, the great goddess of NI, has heard our cries and granted her abundant favour on us!  Not one day more will I gesture in an unseemly fashion, or speak inappropriate words, as I attempt to decipher the information from my network of ancient load cells on bridges throughout the Empire - although I confess perhaps I still will for other reasons.  Forsooth, the effervescent light of NI's Hidden Gems is shining brightly on us all!

I remain concerned, however, that there is no simultaneous announcement of the ability to interpret the sexagesimal data arriving from the flow meters in the Babylonian gardens.  However this announcement has given me hope that this may yet occur before LV-MMXX, or should I say LV-33`40°, together with the long-awaited and much-delayed Klingon language pack.  yItaH 'ej yIcheptaH!

Actually, I only regretted posting the comment in the thread - here is a much better place.

Message 4 of 298
(17,541 Views)

@GregSands wrote:

I've done this (only once I think) in the Idea Exchange, and regretted making the comment as it made it more difficult to seriously evaluate the idea (sorry altenbach / AQ).  The idea was Add Roman numeral conversion tools and ...

I don't think your link points to the right place.... Here's a better link.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 298
(17,536 Views)

@GregSands wrote:

I've done this (only once I think) in the Idea Exchange, and regretted making the comment as it made it more difficult to seriously evaluate the idea (sorry altenbach / AQ).  The idea was Add Roman numeral conversion tools and followed this comment:

VIs to do this will be in Beta 2 of LV 2015 in vi.lib\string\Roman Numerals.llb but will not be added to the palettes due to the lateness of the hour. They will be 

Why are you wasting time programming in LV?  Your awesome skills at creating links inside your replies are truly going to waste.  True Lithium-Fu on display there, maybe they are hiring... 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 298
(17,535 Views)

Apparently we forgot to mention to beware of being made fun of yourself.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 298
(17,531 Views)

Got a new one...

If you do not know what a time base is, you should never be allowed within 50ft of an oscilloscope.  Just step away and tell your professor you are just plain too stupid to handle an oscilloscope.

Spoiler
http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Average-Value-Scope/m-p/3136480#M901992

Seriously, we have been through so much with this guy already.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 298
(17,519 Views)

I was going to say that I had not heard of a time base in regards to an oscilloscope but you have (seconds/division) right next to that.  I think an appropriate response to this would be posting the picture with a really poorly drawn circle obviously done in paint around the answer with a hand drawn HERE printed next to it.

adasdasd.PNG

I feel like I would need to create an alternate account before posting a comment like that though.

I also noticed that you replied to the post and said that it was 500ms/div.  Am I blind or is it 500ns/div?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 9 of 298
(17,514 Views)

Jacobson wrote:

I also noticed that you replied to the post and said that it was 500ms/div.  Am I blind or is it 500ns/div?

His next post showed the screen better.  Obviously ms.  I couldn't tell from the first picture, which is why I asked.

Edit: Just looked at it again.  I think it is actually 2ms/division with the zoomed in part at 500ns/division.  Just goes to show that taking pictures with cameras is not typically the way to go.  A nice screen capture would have shown it quite nicely.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 298
(17,509 Views)