BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView vs LabWindows/CVI

Altenbach:  This is one of the best examples I have ever seen.  A picture is truly worth a thousand words.  Smiley Very Happy

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 221
(13,461 Views)
Your assesment of LabVIEW is very accurate.
0 Kudos
Message 52 of 221
(13,391 Views)

Hi,

i'm a labview user for the past 2 years..when i heard about labwindows, i wondered what will be the speciality for this tool, so i thought to learn labwindows/cvi. My first step was to find the exact difference between these two tools and my search stopped in this forum. i read all the replies.. but they are not accurate. i know the advantage of graphical vs text based programming. Can anyone list what are the pros and cons of labwindows when compared with labview. if the answer is in detail means i would really appreciate..pls help me..

0 Kudos
Message 53 of 221
(13,364 Views)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "they are not accurate". Possibly not detailed enough, but I'm not sure how to provide a check list. One is graphical the other textual. In one (LabVIEW) you can easily do parallel processing, the other not. If you are a C/C++ programmer then LabWindows will seem familiar and provide a lot of pre-made tools, if programming is new to you then LabVIEW may be a bit easier to initially get into. Neither of them (or any other computer language that I have worked with, and that is a long list), shows you how to write a Good program, they just provide different vocabulary lists, you have to write the story.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 54 of 221
(13,338 Views)

I agree, in the google map example the graphical representation of the direction really gives you more information than the text.

The google map example does not work for comparing CVI to LabView, because they are tha same.

They give user the same amount of information (feature).

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 55 of 221
(13,089 Views)

CVI:

cvi.png

LabView:

lv.png

See the difference?

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 221
(13,086 Views)

Please explain what you are trying to say in those two posts?  Or are you just joking around?

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 221
(13,075 Views)

@Ali65 wrote:

CVI:

cvi.png

LabView:

lv.png

See the difference?

HW.png

See it now?--

PS you can RUN my png.  can't run your picturesSmiley Wink

PPS- mine took fewer keystrokes

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 58 of 221
(13,061 Views)

"I can't run your pictures"

Totally true! This is the sad fact.

This is why I prefer C.

Smiley Wink

"fewer keystrokes"

I cannot agree more!

But 100 times more mouse work.

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 221
(13,023 Views)

@Ali65 wrote:

"I can't run your pictures"

Totally true! This is the sad fact.

This is why I prefer C.

Smiley Wink

"fewer keystrokes"

I cannot agree more!

But 100 times more mouse work.

Unless you have Quick Drop short cuts defined (ctrl-space, stc, left click). Smiley Wink

I've said it before but in short...

I work in a shop with mostly CLAs. There code is written correctly and I can read their code while walking past their cube.

even if they were using 40 point font, reading a page of text code "at a glance" is a skill I have never heard anyone claim to be able to do.

Re: Large LV programs

The hardest part  for me is keeping all of the developers in the team busy since explaining requirements takes almost as long as coding them in LV.

Re: Comment in C code

I had taught myself C back about 1990 or there abouts and had previously programmed in VAX-11 Macro. I had developed a programming sytle that started with the design in flow charts then carefully translated them into words so that all of the comments were in my code before I started writting the code. Eventually I found myself in College taking a course in C. I was very excited about having someone critique my code since I had never had anyone who knew C, evaluate my code. When the day came for the review, I was teribly disapointed. The only feed-back I got was "TOO MANY COMMENTS! It makes it hard to find the code."

(Where is that toss PC emoticon when you need it?)

Ben

Christian,

Great analogy! That example shows that LV can not only specify the details but also the "Big Picture" at the same time in the same image.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 60 of 221
(13,017 Views)