BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-Speak Spatial Operating Environment 3D User Interface

Take a look - G-Speak Spatial Operating Environment (SOE) from Oblong Industries:

This concept idea still far away from the practical usage from my point of view. I can recognize significant delays in feedbacks from UI. But who knows - probably in the future LabVIEW will be based on such concept, and graphical programming will get one more dimension... I can imagine wires and SubVIs in 3D space...

Andrey.
Message 1 of 22
(10,207 Views)

Nice tech demo, but I'm not sure about the real ergonomics of actually working like that.

Shane.

Message 2 of 22
(10,205 Views)
Cool. Minority Report redux. Now if we could just get the nice and polite traffic flow that was shown in the movie. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(10,168 Views)

I also saw the Minority Report similarity, on their web site it states:

Some of the SOE's core ideas are already familiar from the film Minority Report, whose characters performed forensic analysis using massive, gesturally driven displays. The similarity is no coincidence: one of Oblong's founders served as science advisor to Minority Report and based the design of those scenes directly on his earlier work at MIT.

So it actually pre-dates MR. When I saw the film, I thought "this is the wave of the future in handling/navigating large data sets and computer modeling!"

-AK2DM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(10,146 Views)

Actually, I'm not sure that I want to see what poor coding style might develop in a 3D LabVIEW environment. You think we're seeing messy wiring now? "Spagetti coding" would take on a whole new meaning - or a whole new dimension :).

It'll be bad if people can literally tie knots in the wires.

Of course, it's a pretty cool demo.

Rob

Message 5 of 22
(10,095 Views)
Since we now have a new dimension I think we are switching from "Spagetti coding" to "Macaroni coding". Even we are able to obfuscate the code in the middle of the Macaroni.
Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
Message 6 of 22
(10,082 Views)
For good coding practices, you can always wrap sections of code into a subVIRavioli. 😄
Message 7 of 22
(10,074 Views)

I like alliteration, so how about Canelloni Coding? Tubes wrapped around something - includes the ideas of both macaroni and ravioli coding.

And, would 3D LabVIEW mean that the  connector panel would be 3D as well? Connectors on all faces? That would be 6 faces with 28 connectors (current max) = 168 connectors. Would you even be able to see the icon?

Do we start creating a style guide now? Like: Inputs on no more than 2 faces and outputs on no more than 2 faces?

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I want to continue thinking about how todebug bad 3D code...

Rob

Message 8 of 22
(10,025 Views)

No! Not 28 x 6 connector! Usually I have troubles with wiring such connector. Now we can keep nice 4x4 connector with 12 terminals, and got 6 sides, so it will be 72 terminals:

🙂

Andrey.

Message Edited by Andrey Dmitriev on 03-09-2009 05:57 PM
Message 9 of 22
(10,011 Views)

I actually coded up simulated 3d diagrams when the 3d Picture was in its public beta (they were just images).

As shown above proper icon will be very important!

I'd prefer inputs on one face outputs on the oposite face and the remain four faces render the icon.

Viewing BDs from along the Y-axis looking toward the origin would give an image similar to what we see now in a diagram. Cases of a case structure could then be illustrated inside boxes stacked along the Y-axis so when we shift our view point up (along the z-axis) we could view all of the cases one behind the other.

Ben 

Message Edited by Ben on 03-10-2009 07:45 AM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 10 of 22
(9,971 Views)