LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing the LabVIEW 8.6 Platform Beta

Greetings,

You are invited to register for participation in the LabVIEW Platform 8.6 Beta program.  

You can register by visiting http://www.ni.com/beta and selecting "LabVIEW Platform" from the list of beta programs.  Please complete the profile questions that will help us understand your experience and use cases with LabVIEW.  Make sure you agree to the T&C of the beta program so that you can be approved.

After you register, please be patient for the beta coordinators to process your application.  You will be notified when you have been approved. Registration does not necessarily guarantee you a position in the beta program. Determination of acceptance into the program is up to the sole discretion of National Instruments.

We will have a private section of the Discussion Forums on NI Developer's Exchange set up for beta users to discuss the beta version of the LabVIEW Platform 8.6.

You will have noticed that I am referring to this beta program as being for the LabVIEW Platform rather than being for LabVIEW.  Let me take a moment to explain what this difference means.  For the first time, National Instruments will place LabVIEW and most of its Modules and Toolkits into the same beta program.  One registration, one place to file bug reports, one forum, and one beta coordinator sending you emails.

Regards,
Robert
Message 1 of 26
(17,194 Views)
Hi Robert, once you are accepted into the program and download the LV Platform beta version, would that version simply replace your current licensed LV version to do all your development on? What about toolkits, modules, etc? Could you please explain some more?

Thanks,
Sima
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26
(17,133 Views)
Is there any meaning to making all the recent versions minor versions (8.2, 8.5, 8.6)?

I think 8.2 and 8.5 were minor versions because their weren't big splasher extra's (LVOOP would been added to 8.0 but was not release ready).
7.0 had express functionality
8.0 had the project, with XControls and lvlibs (+LVOOP)
8.2 had LVOOP
8.5 had major editing improvements

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 4 of 26
(17,130 Views)
...or LabView 9 is to come for NI Week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

graziano
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(17,032 Views)
Curiosity: How long is usually needed, to move to an official release?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(17,024 Views)

@Pnt wrote:
Curiosity: How long is usually needed, to move to an official release?

For me it's a little bit more than a curiosity. I was just willing to start programming with 8.5 (I'm actually stuck with 7.1 for many projects and 8.0.1 for one project only), so my doubt: should I wait further and put my hands on forthcoming 8.6? I don't like having a lot of versions floating on my desktop.
Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(17,012 Views)

Some recent release dates:

• 7.0 - ~7/03.
  • 7.1 - ~7/04
  • 8.0 - ~10/05
  • 8.2 - ~8/06
  • 8.5 - 8/07.

It seems safe to say that NI usually tries to unveil the new version at NIWeek, which is in August.

(16,986 Views)
It not only seems safe to expect a new version for NI week, it was stated explicitedly so that this was the intend for the future during the last LabVIEW User Group Days directly following NI week 2007 all over the world. Not sure if that was meant to be publically stated but it came from the presenter and that was a LabVIEW programming team member.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 02-18-2008 01:53 PM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26
(16,959 Views)

@Sima wrote:
Hi Robert, once you are accepted into the program and download the LV Platform beta version, would that version simply replace your current licensed LV version to do all your development on? What about toolkits, modules, etc? Could you please explain some more?

Thanks,
Sima

No don't do that and LabVIEW 8.6 will install in its own directory. Beta means things can and will break and you do not want to have that in a tight scheduled customer project. However attending the Beta program means that you will try to run as many of your apps under the new version and see how it works or doesn't work. And of course report any problems you see. Because only problems that are found can be fixed by the developers and a report will make sure they can find it.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(16,949 Views)