Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New search engine

Joel Abview: The residue was fun to use at "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (confetti)

Ah yes.... We call it the Bit Basket

Joel Abview: I was hooked on APL.
So you also learned Greek 🙂 What a cryptic language! But the smallest Hello World program: 'Hello World'

I punch my first program on a IBM360 in 1978.
I also used a PDP-11 that we booted with a tape and entered the boot address on a bank of switches.

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

Message 31 of 49
(4,038 Views)
The front panel of a PDP-11/70 is one of the artifacts I have in my museum.

I saved it because Unix was first devloped on a 11/70.

012131 = Move the data that folows to the address that follows PDP-11 instruction.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 32 of 49
(4,038 Views)

@Jean-Pierre Drolet wrote:
Joel Abview: I was hooked on APL.
So you also learned Greek 🙂 What a cryptic language! But the smallest Hello World program: 'Hello World'

I punch my first program on a IBM360 in 1978.
I also used a PDP-11 that we booted with a tape and entered the boot address on a bank of switches.

We used to play a video game written in APL, called TANK.

I actually liked APL, even developped my thesis using a PC version..
I was not thrilled about the "function locking feature"!!!! 😠

This should make Altenbach fell young again!! 😄

😄
Message 33 of 49
(4,032 Views)

JoeLabView wrote: ...This should make Altenbach fell young again!! 😄

Well, it seems that I'll make you all feel younger :

I wrote my first program in 1970. That was a least square polynomial regression, written in Fortran, and it tooks me only one month to get it running. After that enlighting experience, I was so enthusiasted by programming that I nearly immediatly wrote my second program four years later, on what has probably been the first PC : an HP9820. That was an ambitious home-made non-linear curve fitting program. So efficient that it could fit a 6 parameter function to an 60 pts XY table in slightly more than 24 hours.

Hope that this will relieve some pain from your aching bones...

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 34 of 49
(4,000 Views)
CC..

I think we should swap icons!!

😄 😄 😄

LOL!!
Message 35 of 49
(4,014 Views)
I for one, am feeling much better now. I just celebarted my birthday and needed a few days off to handle the depression;) of being a year older. My first program wasn't until 1974 on an IBM360.
Message 36 of 49
(3,998 Views)
Er, meant as more of a counter-weight than anything else.....

Programming was far from my mind in 1974, I was busy being born.

I'm sure I did program something on an old Amstrad CPC 464 (Late eighties or early nineties or so) which I typed in from a book. Took me several hours and at the end I tried running it. It crashed and hung the computer. Then I realised I hadn't saved anything. Despite this, I got hooked on Programming in university. Going at it ever since.

Just a shame I actually studied chemistry. Oh well. Go figure.

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 37 of 49
(3,989 Views)
Happy belated Birthday Dennis!!

😄
Message 38 of 49
(3,987 Views)
Addition:
It seems there actually is an option to search for messages by a specific user, as I requested.
It's just that the option is in the advanced search page, which I didn't want to use, because its results weren't good enough.
HOWEVER,
I checked it out now and I think I have the answer - the advanced search page only covers the threads starting after the change to the forum system (or is it the messages?). So, if you know you're searching for a specific thread or message from the last few months, the advanced search page does seem to be the right address.
I still don't like the fact the page only searches the forums and, for some reason, I don't like the layout of the page. I'm not sure why.

(3,919 Views)
I simply add search_criteria & userName
Works great..

😄
Message 40 of 49
(3,907 Views)