Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have lost stars. I want them back!

In this thread can someone explain how an average of 2 ratings gives 3.1?
The last time I checked in the old forum format, I had 7 4*s ratings (though I never figured if it was for the linear algebra bit or for the sarcasm bit...)

Give me back my precioussss stars...

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

Message 1 of 21
(12,065 Views)
The forum no longer shows automatically how many times stars were given. You see two ratings, but how many other ratings are "behind" these isn't clear until you hover over the stars. I just visited the thread, and saw that you have 3 stars (Average of 3 ratings giving a total average of 3.4). This can be explained.

How an average of 2 ratings can give 3.1 is a bit beyond me. It must surely be either 3 or 3.5. Maybe NI has a rounding error somewhere in their calculations, but this seems somewhat unlikely......

Interesting phenomenon.

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 2 of 21
(12,053 Views)
JP,

You're just gonna have to earn those stars back... 😉

It seems that the new forum takes the average number of stars for a given post and displays the result, let's say you have an average of 4.8 with 5 people giving ratings.

However, in your star count, the (average) rating counts as a single star received although there were 5 different people assigning stars..

So.. we all lost our stars.. they are in the sky and up for grabs..

Let's hurry before Dennis gets to them.. 😄

JLV

*** Maybe my observation is not accurate, but it is what I observed... ***
Message 3 of 21
(12,049 Views)

@JoeLabView wrote:
So.. we all lost our stars..

I meant.. we all lost SOME of our stars.. (in the star count - not the average)

JLV

(yep... I need that post edit function.. the mouse is faster than the brain...)
Message 4 of 21
(12,046 Views)
Hello Jean-Pierre Drolet,

Migration could cause you to get an average of 3.1 stars with two ratings. The old system was on a scale of 1-4. The new system is on a scale of 1-5.

For example:

Old Ratings = 3, 2
Old Average = 2.5

Scaled Ratings = 3*5/4 = 3.75, 2*5/4 = 2.5
Scaled Average = 6.25/2 = 3.125 = 3.1

As far as expecting seven ratings of four stars on this post, that is a different issue. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the old system to see what it was rated before migration, so I can't really confirm or deny this.

The average ratings you see in your profile are calculated differently now than they used to be. The average you see in your profile is not an average of each individual rating you have received. Instead, it is the average of the average rating you have received on individual posts.

I know this is how it calculates the average for new ratings posted since November. I can't exactly remember how the migrated ratings were calculated in the profile - whether they were all averaged or if it was an average of the averages.

I hope I haven't confused things, and that I have cleared some things up. Sorry I couldn't help find your lost stars!

Thanks,
Molly K.
Web Support & Operations Manager
National Instruments
Message 5 of 21
(11,699 Views)
You lost no stars...
In a far past, the star rating had a range of only 4 levels.
At that time, you gave an answer that was rated 3 times (2, 3, 3).
The average was 2.666667, rounded to 2.7
When the rating range was changed to 5, your score was scaled to 2.7/ 4 * 5 = 3.375, rounded to 3.4.
In fact, your actual rating should be lower : 3.333, rounded to 3.3

Stop crying ! 🙂

CC
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 6 of 21
(11,699 Views)
I don't buy it. There is a conspiracy to deny me my stars.
I remember it was my best rated answer 4 stars, 7 ratings e.g. at least 3.5 old scale.
There is no arithmetics, average, average of average that can bring that down to 3.1, 2 ratings, new scale (now 3.4, 3 ratings, thanks whoever).

In protest I'll sell my Enthousiast mug on eBay.

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

Message 7 of 21
(11,692 Views)
I'll give you CDN$2 for it..
I think it translates to roughly 1 Euro or $0.50 US..

😉

OR.....

Your mug for a bunch of stars!!!

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

BTW...

Is it clean???
The mug, I mean...
Message 8 of 21
(12,004 Views)
Hi JoeLabView and CC!

I am going to give you a chance to see why my average is only 4.5!

I can not sit back and let you pick on one of my mentors!

If it was not for Jean-Pierre's contributions I would not be able to share what he taught me.

It was JP that pointed out to me that I could use an invoke node to get an image of a control. He also showed how "virtual controls" could be created.

He seldom responded to simple questions unless there was some unique elegant approach that could be shared.

In my book he rates very near the top of the all-time LabVIEW Most Valuable Players. I have not compiled a list, but I think that only Greg McKaskle and Rolf Kalbermatter would top him on my list.

So, please do not make light of missing stars!

Maybe Molly can't restore the lost stars, but we can!

Jean-Pierre,

Please do not "sell your mug"!

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 21
(11,995 Views)
Hi,

Is there an icon for an enthusiast's mug.

ray farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 10 of 21
(11,668 Views)