NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO-9651, enable wlan0 with MAX

We've succesfully added a wifi module to the sbRIO-9651 and the interface wlan0 works as expected. We ran into some problems though:

- when the wifi module is plugged, MAX no longer sees the target (the web interface, SSH and project interface are working ok)

- from the web interface, the network tab shows "no network adapters found"

We did not change any configuration files, we just added the compiled module and the corresponding entry in etc/modules.autoload.d

Since the myRIO has built-in funcitonality for WIFI I suspect that also for the 9651 there is some configuration files options to enable the cohexistance and maybe even the configuration through MAX of the wlan0 interface.

Any help would be gratly appreciated.

Luca

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(10,728 Views)

I did some more clean-up in the system and now I can see the target in MAX without any problem, but the question remains: how to enable wifi configuration in MAX like it is on the MyRIO device?

Thanks

Luca

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(5,407 Views)

What version of NI Linux RT are you running?  Is it the 2014 release?

How does it show up in MAX?  Just as an Ethernet adapter?  Or not at all?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(5,407 Views)

I'm not sure if the MAX configuration support for Wifi on the myRIO was done in a generic enough fashion to support arbitrary Wifi devices plugged in. It certainly could be, but I'm not sure it is. I wouldn't take this as a reason it won't work, you just might have to configure it more manually.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(5,407 Views)

I'm using lv2014. In max it does not show up (I see eth0 eth1 and usb0). The interface is registered as wlan0.

Luca

Inviato da Samsung Mobile

<div

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(5,407 Views)

I think that, as long as the o.s. sees the interface as wlan0 and it works, the configuration should be adaptable.

Anyway, I'm willing to try.

Luca

<div

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,407 Views)

Is the WPA Supplicant starting?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,407 Views)

I don't have access to the som right now, so I cannot check. I can tell that when I configured manually the interface, it used the wpa supplicant, so I'd say that it should be running.

Luca

<div

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,407 Views)

Hey Sir Luke,

This has been quite a common question lately for 3rd party USB wlan support. Its not officially supported but depending on the usb stick it may work.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/message/92138#92138

I found a similar post from Sam K. saying the Asus keys may work but I couldn't find any discussion about it.

I asked around and the dev's thought there may be a bug or too with it supported 3rd party devices through MAX. They did confirm that the wlan0 is the static key it would pull from to populate in MAX. Luke could you give me some details of an application you're trying to work on? The problem is typically the USB keys aren't spec to the same operating specs so it causes derating of the product.

Feel free to PM me with any details.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(5,407 Views)

Hi All

I have been trying to communicate via USB wireless modules as well. After a few MAX restarts it did show up in MAX. I am facing some issues with the dhcp network and will report back if the issue persists.MAX with wireless module.PNG

Thanks

Jayaraj

Message 10 of 16
(5,407 Views)