Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forcibly Release my VLM License

Is there a way to forcibly release my license (named-user) from the VLM?

When I got done with some LabVIEW developement on my desktop PC, I needed to use LabVIEW on one of the lab computers.  However, it would not allow me to get my license because the VLM still has it allocated to my desktop PC.  Normally, if I close LabVIEW, it releases relatively quickly but for some reason, it won't release.  Therefore, I cannot continue my work on the lab computer.

Message 1 of 6
(6,019 Views)

Hello,

I would check your Task Manager to make sure that all instances of LabVIEW are closed. If they are, you could try disconnecting your client computer from the server. If you open NI License Manager and go to options->preferences you will see an option to disable the volume license server. This will point your computer to use local licenses only and not pull a license from VLM.

Thanks,

Will.i.am10

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,996 Views)

I'm quite sure that everything was closed (there were no instances of any licenseable NI software listed in the running process that I could find).  Also, I tried rebooting and that didn't fix it.  I then opened and closed LabVIEW to see if it would trigger a release but that didn't work.

It was finally released when I got to work this morning so I can't really do much troubleshooting now.  I will try disabling the VLM if it happens again to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,993 Views)

I'm also seeing intermittent issues with network licences not being released when the NI software is closed. Restarting the client computer did not resolve the issue.

I wonder if having LabVIEW or TestStand open on a client laptop and then closing the lid and putting the computer to sleep is throwing off the volume license server.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,221 Views)

Hi Stephenb2,

As this thread is approximately 2 years old, it may be best to create a new one for better visibility.

That being said, if you need to forcibly disconnect the network license you can always remove the volume license server information from the client and it should release if you need  to get an immediate work around.

Thanks!

Tyler C.
Technical Support Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,213 Views)

Clearing the volume license field on the client, refreshing, and then re-entering the information does not release the license.

license manager.PNG

licenses in use.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,205 Views)