Using the NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GroupAdmin Policies and FAQ

User Group Policies

In order to ensure GroupAdmins are aware of their responsibilities, and all user groups are being managed consistently, we have introduced a set of policies that we expect all GroupAdmins to adhere to while managing their user groups. These policies will help GroupAdmins effectively manage their user group, and help ensure that all user groups remain active and high quality.

As the GroupAdmin of an NI Community User Group you must agree to abide by the following policies:

• Your user group is subject to the NI Community Content Archiving Policy.
  • Your user group format and location will be determined by the NI Community Team.
  • You must upload a group avatar image and provide a group description.
    • Please ensure you have the rights to use the image you are uploading for the group avatar.
  • You must update the group overview section.
    • The level of detail provided here is at the discretion of the GroupAdmin.
  • Your user group must be able to support at least 10 members.
    • If your audience is small enough that this is unrealistic, please contact the NI Community Team for potential solutions.
  • Your user group must be capable of sustaining ongoing activity and should not be used as a location for one-time content publication.
  • Closed Groups: Your user group must have an NI Employee sponsor.
  • Closed Groups: You must check new membership requests on a weekly basis.

GroupAdmin FAQ

How can I invite someone to join a group?

• If you are a GroupAdmin, you can navigate to the group overview page, select Group Options, and then select Invite Members. This will take you to a screen where you can enter the email address or username of the person you wish to invite and include a message with the invite. The user will receive a private message with a link to the group.
    • Please note that the email address used to send the invite must match the email that is associated with the user's account.
    • If the user does not have a community profile, the invite tool will notify you of this and prevent you from sending the invite. We recommend reaching out to the user via email to encourage them to setup a community profile.
    • If you do not know the exact email address or username of the person you would like to invite, we recommend you send the person a direct link to the group via email or some other form of communication. The user can then request to join the group.

How do I know when someone requests to join my closed group?

As a GroupAdmin, you will receive notifications whenever a user requests to join your closed group. These notifications will be sent via private message in the community. The message will contain a link to the members page for your user group where you can accept or deny the pending requests. By default, private messages also trigger email notifications. This can be disabled by going to My Settings > Preferences > Private Messenger > and then unchecking the option for "Receive email notifications for new private messages." We recommend you keep this enabled so that you can be immediately notified via email whenever you receive a new request to join your user group.

How do I manage the members of my group?

• To invite users to join your group, click on Group Options > Invite Members. This will take you to a screen where you can enter the email address or username of the person you wish to invite and include a message with the invite. The user will receive a private message with a link to the group.
    • Please note that the email address used to send the invite must match the email that is associated with the user's account.
    • If the user does not have a community profile, the invite tool will notify you of this and prevent you from sending the invite. We recommend reaching out to the user via email to encourage them to setup a community profile.
    • If you do not know the exact email address or username of the person you would like to invite, we recommend you send the person a direct link to the group via email or some other form of communication. The user can then request to join the group.
    • To see invites that you have sent that have not yet been accepted, from the group overview page, click on the Group Members component. Then, click on the Pending tab. You can cancel or resend invites from this page.
  • To approve users to join your group, from the group overview page, click on the Group Members component. Then, click on the Requests tab to approve or reject membership requests.
    • You can approve or reject multiple requests at once by using the check boxes next to the requests, then selecting the appropriate option from the dropdown menu.
    • The tab on the page specifically for open join requests has its own unique URL, so you can simply bookmark the URL to easily visit the page to view and manage all join requests at once.
  • To remove users from your group, from the group overview page, click on the Group Members component. Click on the Remove Member button next to the user you would like to remove.
  • To promote a user to a GroupAdmin, click on the Group Membership component. Click on the Edit button next to the user you would like to promote. Then, select the box for the GroupAdmin role, then click Save.

How do I customize my group landing page?

The group overview page layout will be standardized across all groups. The layout includes a component which features the group avatar and group description, and a text editor component that can be used for whatever content a GroupAdmin chooses to add.

How do I update the overview for my user group?

To edit the group overview, click on the Edit button at the bottom of the component. You can then add plain text, use the text editor options to stylize your text, or click on the "source code" button to insert HTML. For help adding HTML to the component, please see HTML Templates for User Groups.

Please note that hyperlinks and images must be added via the "source code" HTML option. If you need to upload an image to the community to be used in your overview, you can do so by visiting your user profile and going to the My Images component.

How do I update my group avatar and description?

To update the group avatar and description, click on Group Options then choose Edit Group. You will be taken to a page where you can edit your group name, description, privacy setting, and upload a new avatar. Please note, when choosing an avatar for your group, you must ensure you have the rights to use this image.

How do I pin a topic to the top of the discussions?

Open the topic, select Topic Options towards the top left, then select Float Topic for All Users.

How do I contact all of the users within my group?

If you need to get a quick message out to all of your group members, you can send a private message to all of your users. Users will receive the private message in their community inbox. Most community users will receive an email notification of the new private message as well.
To send the message, go to the members page for your group (found by clicking on the members component on your group overview page), then clicking on the Send Message button. A pop-up will appear in which you can insert a plain text message. You can use simple HTML to format the message, but for more advanced formatting or for longer messages we recommend you create a new topic within your user group instead.

How do I make an announcement to my group?

You can use the method mentioned above to contact all of your users via private message. An announcement can also be posted in the overview or in a pinned topic within the group.

How do I create a new user group?

If you are interested in creating a new group, please provide the following information via email to community@ni.com:

1. Name of your proposed group
  2. Please provide a group description
  3. What type of group will this be (Open or Closed)?
  4. What is the focus of your group (a regional group, support, code sharing, etc.)?
  5. What is the primary language of your group?
  6. Who will be the audience/member base for this group?
  7. Are there any GroupAdmins in addition to yourself?

Please note that user groups should NOT be utilized in the following situations:

• You plan on sharing sensitive or export controlled information
  • The user group already exists
  • You plan on utilizing interaction styles other than discussions

Complete Guide to Building a Self-Sustaining User Group

Whether you are setting up a user group at your company or where you live, the Center of Excellence will point you to all the tools that you need to begin and drive a great user group that is Built to Last. If you are starting a user group at your company, refer to this comprehensive document that includes every step and activity that you should consider when building a self-sustaining user group.

Contributors