From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Unit Testing Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing automated UI Tests

Unit Tests are always a good option to test your business- and lowlevel-logic. But how do you test your integration including the gui, the highest level of your application?

Manual gui tests are very time-consuming  and therefore expensive. As they are made manually and possibly by different testers. The quality is not always the same: different testers test differently, a single tester will not be 100% consistent either. 

Usually manual gui integration tests are focused to the area where the code changes are made, but what happens when your code changes influence already tested functions? The solution is to do automated regression tests using gui automation.

We are proud to announce you, our idea of automated UI testing. Gtester is a proof of concept and shows you the possibilities to test UI and therefore doing integrationtests automatically. 

Gtester allows you to record your interaction with the UI and the recorded sequence can be replayed anytime. Whithin the recorded sequence assertions will help you to compare values and properties of UI elements.

Further GTester is aiming to be able to 
  • work with both vi and exe
  • test on a remote computer
  • be OS independant

We would be happy to get some feedback.

Thanks, Matthias

Hi Matthias,

With my company, we were thinking exactly about using the same kind of tool you propose.

Your demo is very interesting !

What are your plans with your tool :

- open source and free to use ?

- LabVIEW toolkit

- estimated release date ?

If you plan to release it as an open source project, my team and I will be eager to provide you some help if required (beta test, developpement, ...)

Thanks,

Christophe

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Christophe | qmt | Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,179 Views)

Hi Christophe,

I'm Patrick, and am working together with Matthias on the GTester.

We are currently in the process of defining how those plans look like.
A part of this process is getting initial feedback from the community. So thank you for giving some, and such a positive one.
That also means that at this point we can't give any estimation about a release date.
Thanks a lot for offering some help. We might get back to you at some point.

Best regards
Patrick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,164 Views)

Hi,

this tool looks very promising and it would be cool if you could provide it as open source. Our team could also help in developing it. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,034 Views)

Hi, 

This is a very nice idea. And I would like to know the current status and plan for this tool. 

Could you share the latest updates about this tool?

Thanks, 

Mano Prabha 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,746 Views)

Very nice work!

By far the most effort I have seen so far in LabVIEW to execute UI tests fully automated 👍

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,554 Views)