USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set the trasmit power of USRP?

Hello everyone,

Recently I was doing some experiments with USRP N210 and Labview. My question is how to set the transmit power of the USRP in labview? My daughterboard is SBX and the maximun transmission power is 100mw, how should I adjust the "Gain" parameter to transmit the signal with the maximun power?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 35
(21,581 Views)

Hey 0711,

The gain setting is how you adjust the power output of the SBX just as you would using UHD.  Since these are uncalibrated devices, a particular gain value doesn't correspond to a particular power level.  The gain can be set between 0 and 32 in 0.5 dB increments.  If you want to output a signal close to the maximum power output of the board, use a high gain setting such as 32.

Sarah Yost
Senior Product Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 35
(21,576 Views)

Thank you very much, Sarah_Y. I will try it

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 35
(21,557 Views)

I am using USRP B210...In the specification sheet it is written tha output power is >10dBm and receive noise figure of <8dB...how to calculate the output power transmitted?

thnx in advance

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 35
(20,427 Views)

Hey ali799,

As I mentioned in my post above, these are uncalibrated devices, so there is not a way to tell the driver to output a specific power, it can only be set using the gain setting.  The information in the specification sheet was obtained by using a combination of calibrated instruments.  If you need to know the power your B210 is outputting, I would recommend using a power meter or spectrum analyzer to measure the power being output by your device.  I attached some data that I took with a B200 that includes the measured output power in dBm for the different frequencies and gain settings.  These numbers are meant to be a general reference of what your B210 will output.  You should except similar output power levels, but the devices are not guaranteed to be identical.

Sarah Yost
Message 5 of 35
(20,412 Views)

Sarah-

Does the NI driver now work with the B200/B210?  I'd been asking for awhile.  Or is this a, "technically yes, but we haven't verified everything so use at your risk."

---

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 35
(20,279 Views)

Hey cochenob,

Unfortunately, the B200/B210 are still not supported in NI-USRP at this time.

Sarah Yost
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 35
(20,266 Views)

That's what I thought.  Saw B210 above and got excited for a moment.  Looks like the user above might have more problems than calculating output power then!

---

Brandon

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 35
(20,264 Views)

Dear All,

Im working on usrp N210 and the maximum transmition power is 100 mw (SBX daguhter board ) , Im working on RFID commercial reader which needs 30dBm. This mean that usrp cant supply this for me, The main question is how i can increase the transmission power like 250mw or 300 mw... etc

Many Thanks  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 35
(19,661 Views)

Use an external amplifier.  MiniCircuits is a good place to start.

www.minicircuits.com

Depending on your band of interest...you may need something more exotic at those output powers/gain.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 35
(19,648 Views)