From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

USRP Software Radio

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect PC to several USRP via NI PCIe-8371

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all, 

I have a NI PCIe-8371 installed on the Host PC's motherboard. It just has one port and one can just connect one USRP to it.

I was wondering how we can connect two USRP-2943R (120MHz) to just one PC using MXIe x4 Cable connection?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,754 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amir2

Hi Amir2,

The easy answer is to connect to one USRP with the MXI connection and the other with Ethernet. Be aware that the ethernet connection will have some limitations, including access to the FPGA. This is described in more detail in the 2943R Getting Started Guide.

If you need to be able to access the FPGA on both USRPs, there isn't going to be a way to do this without some modification of your hardware list. One option would be with the NI PCIe-8372 card instead, as it has 2 x4 MXI ports on a single card. Alternatively if your computer has two PCIe slots, you could get a second PCIe-8371. 

Hope this helps!

Ashley G.
Senior Applications Engineer | RF & Wireless Communications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,714 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

My computer just has one x4 slot. I use this slot for connecting one of the USRPs to Host PC via the PCIe-8371. However, my computer also has an extra x16 slot. Can I use this slot to insert another PCIe-8371? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,708 Views)
Solution

I recommend using the CPS-8910. This will allow you to connect multiple USRP RIOs using the PCIe connection. 

Message 4 of 6
(3,703 Views)
Solution

The x16 slot will work just fine for another PCIe-8371.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,700 Views)

Thank you Robert.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,695 Views)