From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Kiosk Mode with Labview

I have a requirement to create a Labview application where the customer would like to "lock out" any other windows type functions during its execution.

I would like to try setting up a windows Kiosk mode profile on the target PC which seems to be designed exactly for this requirement.

My question is, will a labview executable run on this kiosk mode profile? has anyone tried it? any caveats?

You should also be aware that this application will be calling the teststand engine so this may introduce further complications.

If windows kiosk mode is not an option is there another way to achieve this effect?

Many thanks

Ian

Billican
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,859 Views)

Windows kiosk mode is new to me but seems good to know.  I guess it would be helpful to answer if you give more details of the platform where you gonna deploy your labview application.  A quick google link gave me that microsoft made kiosk mode deployemnt easier in windows 8.1 compared to windows 7.

-Ajay.

--
Ajay MV

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,941 Views)

When I've had this requirement I had a couple solutions.  The first was to make my EXE the shell for Windows.  You can have it run your program on startup instead of explorer, and then all you have is your program.  I believe in this mode things like CTRL+Alt+Delete don't work and you won't be able to run anything from the run, or start menu because those won't exist.

Another option I had was to run my program on startup, and have it kill explorer.  Most of the time this was a better solution, because without explorer you don't have themes, and aero fonts will be different from the development to the deployment machine.  Because of that we had some graphical issues.  If you go this route you can setup local or network domain rules to have things like not allow CTRL+Alt+Delete, disable run, and what ever other features you might want to disable.  Then you setup your program to log off on exit.  There you could login as an admin where those other features are turned back on.

Message 3 of 5
(5,941 Views)

Have you tried any third party solution like MobiLock Windows 10 kiosk mode ( https://mobilock.in/windows-10-kiosk-mode ) solution? It becomes easier for you to understand such issues you facing right now.

For our retail store, we are running our app in single app mode using this 3rd party solution.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,729 Views)

This thread is somewhat dated, but if anyone is still interested in creating a kiosk-style instrument using LabVIEW and Windows (more specifically, Windows 10 IoT Enterprise), please visit http://solidusintegration.com/sikiosk.html and let me know if you have any questions.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,192 Views)