UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Is This?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have inherited a project where the customer is looking for a UI update to an existing application.

For the first time in a long time, I have found something that I have no idea what it is!

It appears to be a decoration but somehow linked to a set of controls such that they are grouped and resize as a group. Attached are some images of front panel and diagram.

Features:

• When I click anywhere in the box all controls are selected as a group.
  • Scales as a group (like a pane)
  • Individual terminals are drop and can replace individual controls.
  • Properties dialog just calls it an "Object" and not any special properties.

Any ideas? I want to modify but actually it is generally useful to know!

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(11,413 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author James_McN

Is it a set of objects grouped?  Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(7,959 Views)

I agree with MikeeB, try selecting the "object", and ungrouping it.

Message 3 of 17
(7,959 Views)

Front Panel.JPG

It is a Decoration and set of controls/Indicators placed on it and all are grouped together. So if you resize the decoration, all the grouped elements are also resizing along with it.

Message 4 of 17
(7,959 Views)

Thanks guys, all correct!

I don't know why, I've never played with grouping much.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(7,959 Views)

Do any of you use grouping much?

This was a feature that I (embarrassingly) didn't realize existed until recently. Now that you know about it, do you think you will use it more James?

Joey S.
Senior Product Manager, Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(7,959 Views)

I use it with a group of controls that I want aligned, eg 3 vertically centred. make a group of them and then I can horizontally pack multiple groups like that. Once you get the hang of it, it does make life simpler. The closest analogy I have is once you figure out layers in graphics.  Mike

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(7,959 Views)

Yeah, I use it temporarily to align things and copy/paste groups, but I disable it when building for release because I feel like it creates opportunities for weird resizing and movement at runtime.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(7,959 Views)

Have a look at "align multiple cluster elements in rows/colum​ns" from nathand (post 71 of the Micro-Nuggets!!! thread of the LabVIEW discussion forum). It gives a nice example of the use of grouping controls.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(7,959 Views)

Hi Joey! I use Grouping all the time for UI design. I'll put two indicators together (a Numeric result and a Boolean indicating whether the value passes or fails), and I'll define a spatial relationship for them (align vertical centers and space out nicely), then group those, duplicate them, and define a new relationship between the groups (bottoms aligned, groups distributed evenly).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(7,959 Views)