From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NISE Test Panel and API fail

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a problem using NI-SE 18.0 on Windows 10.

This is the situation :

I am using one of my company's homemade switch hardware module for which I developped a IVIswtch Compliant specific driver (using the IVISwtch compliant driver wizard provided with labwindows/CVI). The driver is built in both 32 and 64 bit.

First, I compiled my driver in 32 bits on a 32 bits system (Windows 7, NISE 3.6) : I can perfectly use the device after having created a proper IVI configuration.

- using the NISE test pannel (relays are commuting, I can see in NI-IO trace all function calls at a NISE level)

- using IVIswtch API in a C program (relays are commuting, I can see in NI-IO trace all function calls at a IVI level)

- using NISE API in a C program (relays are commuting, I can see in NI-IO trace all function calls at a NISE level)

Then I compiled my driver on a W10 system with NISE 18.0 in both 64 and 32 bits configuration (because NISE HMI is 32 bits and requires a 32 bit driver, even on a 64 bit system).

For information, I have a virtual device linked to an IVI logical name associated with a driver session that is not configured as simulated ("Don't simulate" is selected in general tab of IVI driver session).

I can create routes using NISE : the driver is initialized with "Simulate=1" option, and all the channels caracteritics are given by the driver to NISE (I activated NI-IO trace and I can see all function calls (niSE_OpenSession...getAttributes....)). Everything works as expected.

The problem occurs when I try to use the test panel on the device. I can see in NI-IO trace the niSe_OpenSession function call that returns "SUCCESS" when i click on "test panel" for my device. And using an ethernet spy I can see that the driver actually communicates with my device. but, when I try to connect a route (exemple Route0 in routegroup0) nothing happens. I don't even see a trace in NI-IO trace (for instance niSE_connect("MyDeviceLogicalName","Route0")), whatever the route I try to connect, until I close the test pannel (niSE_closeSession appears in NI-IO trace).

I checked that in NI-IO trace all API where captured (and iviswtch checkbox is enabled), and I also checked that my driver is not called when calling functions to connect channels (I log all my IVIswitchCompliant-homemade-driver function calls in a log file).

Can you help me please ?

Thanks,

François

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,861 Views)

I would like to add a precision if it can help :

on my Windows10 system, NISE V18.0 :

if I use the given switch executive virtual device example, present by default  ("SwitchExecutiveExample"), I have the same problem : I can only see "niSE_OpenSession" and "niSE_CloseSession" traces although I do close and open routes in test panel

on my Windows 7 system, NISE 3.6 :

if I use the given switch executive virtual device example, present by default  ("SwitchExecutiveExample")? I can see all the traces (niSE_OpenSession, niSE_Connect, niSE_Disconnect ...)

So I think there might be a problem with my NI-MAX/NISE config but the devices are declared exaclty the same (the example and my thrid party device).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,842 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Francois_airbus

For viewers information after a few more experiments it appears that the NI-IO trace spy blocks NISE function calls ! If you want to actually open/close your relays on your switching device you just have to disable capture in NI-IO trace or simply close it. It is a known issue for NI, they will probably fix it in the next version of their software suite. If you still need to monitor function calls at a NISE level, you can use the NISE debug panel that does NOT block NISE function calls.

I hope it can help readers

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,658 Views)