Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete switchblock device from configuration tree

Solved!
Go to solution

I have physically removed several unused switchblock cards from the 2800 carrier, they show up with red X's in the MAX configuration tree, but there is no option to delete or remove the devices from the tree.  The online help says to right click the device name and select Delete, but there is no Delete option in the menu.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,668 Views)

Bholsinger,

Are you trying to delete the Cards (named something like "SwitchBlock1/1") or the Devices (named something like "SwitchBlock1Dev1")?

Perhaps you need to click the Carrier that it lives in, click configure, and update the combinations to omit the physically removed cards?

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,661 Views)

I also tried going to Switchblock Configuration, but there again is NO option to delete the devices from the config.  I have already physically removed the blades/cards/modules from the carrier.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,658 Views)

Hello bholsinger,

Which version of NI-SWITCH and/or NI-DAQmx are you using?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,653 Views)

Ni-daqmx 15.5.1

Ni-switch 15.1.1

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,650 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bholsinger

Hi Bholsinger, 

Thank you for bringing this up to us.  

We've filed an error report (CAR# 609019) to address and fix this.  

I can't guarantee when it will get taken care of, but it's on the dev team's radar.  

In the mean time we do have a couple workarounds for the issue:

• Delete and re-add the entire SwitchBlock carrier
    1. Shut down the system and remove the SwitchBlock Carrier
    2. Turn the system back on and delete the Carrier from MAX
    3. Turn the system back off and insert the Carrier with the desired modules
    4. When you re-power the system, you can reconfigure the Carrier as desired

*If you have configuration data (custom device names, scales, tasks, etc.) I highly recommend exporting your configuration data (File>>Export).  You can then edit the file to remove the SwitchBlock elements you don't want.  Then on system restart you can import the file (File>>Import).  Otherwise you'll need to recreate all of your custom data after resetting the database. 

I'd personally recommend the first option as it is the most straightforward, but please let us know if either of these options work for you. I know that they are not ideal solutions, but hopefully you'll find them satisfactory in the interim

Best Regards, 

Chris 

National Instruments

Message 6 of 6
(5,576 Views)