Student Projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eyeboard, Honduras

Contact Information

University: University of New Orleans

Team Member(s): Luis Cruz (Developer), Allan Vindel (Labview Expert)

Faculty Advisors:

Email Address: Lcruz@intelsath.com

Project Information

Title: The Eyeboard
Description:

The Eyeboard is an open source project built with the intention to help people with disabilities. People with physical disabilities face a lot of communication problems with other people. This is why I was motivated to build an inexpensive, yet reliable, human-computer interface that detected eye movements using the technique used in the biomedical field, Electrooculography (EOG).

Products:

Labview, Multisim

The Challenge:

Make an inexpensive eye tracking system to help disabled people.

The Solution:

The Eyeboard is an open source project that I built in order to help people with disabilities. My circuit detects the eye movements using the technology called "Electrooculography", which consists in detecting the resting potential that exists between the retina and the cornea by using skin electrodes around the eyes.

Electro- oculography (EOG) is a technology that consists of placing electrodes around the eyes on the person’s forehead to record eye movements. The voltage that exists between the eyes is a very small electrical potential that can be detected using electrodes. People with certain disabilities may use these systems in order to have certain communication. However, systems like these tend to be very expensive due to their complexity; therefore, I knew that building a cheap EOG system could be beneficial to a lot of people.

<insert explanation of the benefits gained using LabVIEW and NI tools>

Multisim was a very great tool for experimenting on software with electronic circuits by simulating them before trying it in real life.

Eyeboard in use with glasses:

http://guide-images.makeprojects.org/igi/4XYqAi1iMM2ru3fK.standard

Comments
blazar
NI Employee (retired)
on

I can also see how this can be applied commercially to increase production. In addition to using feets & hands to control machinery, eyeboards can be used as well.

Bosco Lazar
Contributors