Please complete the following information
University and Department: Universidad Politecnica de Catalunya
Team Members: Diego Tibaduiza , Fahit Gharibnezhad , Luis Mujica , Jose Rodellar
Faculty Advisors: Luis Mujica , Jose Rodellar
Primary Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary Telephone Number (include area and country code): +34 93 413 74 99
Project Title: Desing and validation of structural health monitoring system for aeronautical structures
List all parts (hardware, software, etc.) you used to design and complete your project:
NI PXI-1033 , NI-PXI 5114 , PXI-2529 and PXI- 5412
Describe the challenge your project is trying to solve.
Nowadays, the application of Structural Health Monitoring -SHM- in aerospace and aircraft industry has been growing up due to the need for: (i) reducing maintenance costs, and (ii) improving the safety of the components, structures and users. SHM is a multidisciplinary activity that includes different technical knowledge: instrumentation, advanced data processing, strategies for damage identification, prognosis, among others.
Describe how you addressed the challenge through your project.
• Excite the structure with Lamb Waves (vibration waves at high frecuency) using PZT`s attached on the surface and a DAQ system.
• Apply diferent strategies based on PCA to detect , localize and identify damages in aeronautical structures.
• Suspend the instrumented structure to isolate it from environment disturbances.
• From all PZT’s attached on the surface, to choose the one which work as actuator by mean of the switch module.
• Excite the structure (vibrational input) with the chosen PZT and using the NI-generator card.
• Record the vibrational responses at different points by using the rest of PZT’s (sensors) and the digitizer card.
• Change actuator and sensors using the switch module, and repeat steps 2 to 4.
• Save and organize the data in text based format.
• Simulate damages and repeat the steps 2 until 6.
• Apply the strategy based on PCA to compare the vibrational responses of the current and healthy structures.
Please upload photos below:
[Click on photo icon on task bar]
Please insert video below: