From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cdaq-9172/need toggle power to connect will not at boot up is active for a moment then dies off at boot up I toggle power and it reconnects and appllications run fine

Error -201003 occurred at DAQ Assistant

Possible Reason(s):

Measurements: Device cannot be accessed. Possible causes:

Device is no longer present in the system.
Device is not powered.
Device is powered, but was temporarily without power.
Device is damaged.

Ensure the device is properly connected and powered. Turn the computer off and on again. If you suspect that the device is damaged, contact National Instruments at ni.com/support.

Device Specified: cDAQ1Mod1

--------------------

Possible Reason(s):

Device is not powered.
Device is damaged.

Ensure the device is properly connected and powered. Turn the computer off and on again. If you suspect that the device is damaged, contact National Instruments at ni.com/support.

--------------------

Possible Reason(s):

Device is not powered.
Device is damaged.

--------------------

Possible Reason(s):

Device is not powered.
Device is damaged.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,864 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I’d like to try a few things to make sure the hardware is working.

Open up the NI’s Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) and run a self-test on your device by right-clicking on it and selecting “self-test”. What happens?

In your code, what is the name of the physical channel in your DAQmx Create Channel VI? Is it the same name as the device in MAX? Sometimes with USB, the name can be changed for various reasons, which could cause this error.

What happens if you leave your chassis powered off until after the computer is completely booted up?

It may also be helpful to check out the cDAQ-9172 user manual for detailed setup instructions.

If these don’t fix the error, please let me know more about your setup/application, such as which version of LabVIEW you are using, what modules are in your cDAQ chassis, and if this happens on more than one USB port. Thanks.

Mark E.
Precision DC Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,847 Views)

The self test did pass. Also if I leave chassis off until it is completed booting the turn it on and the MAX comes up and that is it this must start first,  then I'm able to close MAX and applications works fine. I looked in the manual you mentioned and I see everything is correct. I even tried different USB ports. The device in the chassis is a Ni cDAQ-9217 100 ohm RTD module and are using LabView 8.2.1

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,833 Views)

Hi Kevin,

It sounds like it might be a conflict of reserved resources between MAX and LabVIEW. Let’s take a step backward and follow these specific steps to see what’s going on:

1.      1. Verify your version of DAQmx in MAX. (Click the software folder, then DAQmx. The version is on the right.) What version do you have?

2.       2. Reboot your computer with the cDAQ-9172 disconnected.

3.       3. Power off the cDAQ-9172 and insert your modules.

4.       4. Connect the cDAQ-9172 to the computer with the USB cable.

5.       5. Connect the power to the cDAQ-9172.

6.       6. Power on the cDAQ-9172.

7.       7. When prompted, open MAX.

8.       8. Expand “Devices and Interfaces”, and then expand “NI-DAQmx Devices”.

9.       9. Check that your device appears under “Devices and Interfaces”. Refresh <F5> if necessary.

10.   10. Right-click your device and select “Self-Test”.

11.   11. Right-click your device and select “Test Panels”. Verify that you can acquire the data you expect on every device/channel.

12.   12. Close MAX. This unreserves the resource (device).

13.   13. Open the LabVIEW example of your choice. In LabVIEW, click Help -> Find Examples. When the example finder opens, go to Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Analog Measurements -> Temperature (or Resistance). Choose an example to demonstrate functionality.

14. 14. Run the example. Do you get an error? What is the error? Please include a screenshot.

This verifies that your software installation is good and that there are no conflicts in your resources. The LabVIEW example program isolates any coding error as the shipping examples have been thoroughly tested.

If you still have the error, please post again and we’ll look into other options.
Mark E.
Precision DC Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,811 Views)

I faced a similar problem with NI-USB-6221. In the end I could solve it. Here's my logging:

NI-USB-6221 INSTALLATION ON OldSliceCrunch

Simply connected the device to an USB-port (USB-ports on OldSliceCrunch seem to be on PCI-card, but in fact they are wired to PCI-like

panel from the motherboard, so they are probably USB 2.0 which is needed for the NI-USB-6221).

Systems response: New hardware detected, but resulting in failure to install nessessary drivers.

So I tried to install the CD's that were supplied with the device (NI-DAQmx Software For Windows ver 8.6).
This results in following:
The installation cannot proceed for the following reason.
Remove or Replace Earlier Version of NI-DAQ
This installer detected that there is a version of NI-DAQ previous to 7.0 already installed on your system, and you did not select

Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) to be installed. You can cancel this installation and use Add/Remove Programs to remove the earlier version

of NI-DAQ. You can also upgrade to the latest version of Traditional NI-DAQ by downloading its installer from ni.com/downloads or by

inserting a Traditional DAQ CD (version 7.4.x recommended). After you have removed or upgraded Traditional DAQ, you can install

NI-DAQmx. Please note that some products such as Modular Instrument drivers released before NI-DAQ 7.0 will not function if Traditional

NI-DAQ (Legacy) is not present.

While installing the NI-5112 scopecard in the OldSliceCrunch earlier, I had explicitly donwgrade the NI-DAQ from 8.5.0f5 to 6.9.1f28 (I

found that in the docs that I keep ;o).
So upgrading the NI-DAQmx would result in malfunction of the Scopecard in OldSliceCrunch.

So I tried to connect the NI-USB-6221 on my own pc (which has full Labview soft installed using UGent-rollout). That worked: (the

device is visible in the Measurement & Automation Explorer(MAX)).

But the LED on the device only blinked shortly and the device is marked in the MAX
with a red cross => no good.
Also the Test Panel results in:
Error -201003 occurred at Test Panel
Possible Reason(s):
Device cannot be accessed.  Possible causes:
Device is not powered.
Device is damaged.
Ensure the device is properly connected and powered.  Turn the computer off and on again.  If you suspect that the device is damaged,

contact National Instruments at ni.com/support.
Device Specified: Dev1

After reading:
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=380&message.id=388&requireLogin=False

I decided to install the CD's that were supplied with the NI-USB-6221 (NI-DAQ8.6)
This Installed the following:
Upgrading
NI-DAQmx 8.6
LabVIEW 8.2 Support
Microsoft Visual C Support
OPC Support
NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.3

Adding or Changing
NI LabVIEW SignalExpress 2.5

After reboot, I tried to install the NI-USB-6221 device again.
Twice the New Hardware Wizard opened: once for the USB-6221, then for NI MIO Firmware Updater. Both succeeded.

Now the USB-6221 works fine in MAX! Thank God (or should I thank NI?)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,549 Views)