From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Driver for QuickSyn Lite Synthesizer

Hello all,

I have a QuickSyn Lite Synthesizer here FSL-E020

So, I would like to know if we have any LabVIEW Driver available from NI for this Module.

Although I have been provided with a Soft Front Panel to operate the module, I would like to make it work programmatically, eg: setting the target frequecny for the module using labview program.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rahul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,155 Views)

Hi there,

there should be a driver available over VI Package Manager. Try to find it there. I found this manual:

QuickSyn Driver and LabVIEW API Installation

1. Go to Phase Matrix’s website to download the required driver files:

http://www.phasematrix.com/pages/Synthesizers.html

Download the following QuickSyn files:
Software:
USB Drivers
USB Front Panel GUI Installation File

Data Sheet
Quick-loading version or Hi-res version (recommend Hi-res version)

User's Manual;
QuickStart Guide
Quick-loading version or Hi-res version of the User Manual. (recommend Hi-res version)

2. To install the LabVIEW API for PMI QuickSyn, there are a number of software tools that need to be installed.  The first tool is called the VI Package Manager. This can be downloaded from the following link: http://jki.net/vipm     Download the free community edition. Install it on the computer that will be used to program the PMI QuickSyn.

Once the JKI VI Package Manager has been installed, it is fairly easy to use. Open the package manager directly, it will show a list of anything that is currently installed on your computer that it is supposed to keep track of.

The first time the VI Package Manager is used, it will prompt you to test its connection to LabVIEW. Go ahead and follow through with it.

The easiest way to install one of the package files, is to click on the file in Windows and let Windows start the Package Manager. This action will start up an installation window. The title will be the package to install. In the upper left hand corner, a part in the upper left will indicate which version of LabVIEW it is currently targeting. You’ll have the option to select which one you want if you have multiple versions installed. Below the LabVIEW version should be button that you click on that starts the installation process. Click on it and follow the prompts to install the package.

3. Download and install the LabVIEW PMI QuickSyn programming API. Currently this version only supports the basic QuickSyn functions so far. No List mode etc. But does support enabling the AM. FM, and Pulse modes. Download it from here:
ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/rf_segment/niRF/nirf_-_niquicksyn/ niRF - QuickSyn Single Install.vipc

This will install two components:
nirf_-_niquicksyn v0.2.2.5
ni_tool_esf v2.4.0.25

I hope this helps
Heinz

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,126 Views)

Hi Heinz,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I found a Synthesizer programming manual  Communications Specs for Programming on their website. It conatins Control Commands in Hex strings to perform different operations.

Example:

Set Output Frequency to 9.876543210 GHz

Convert 9.876543210 GHz to milliHertz: 9,876,543,210,000
Convert 9,876,543,210,000 to 48-bit Hex: 08 FB 8F D9 82 10
Append Command Header (0C) in front of the Frequency: 08 FB 8F D9 82 10
  Send command: 0C 08 FB 8F D9 82 10

Using this info, it is fairly easy to communicate with the device via labview and develop required labview APIs such as 'Set Output Frequency' , 'RF Output  Enable' etc.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,118 Views)