Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded Alternative to PXI-5651

I'm working on a parrot for a radar system that replies to the radar signal with a delayed signal to simulate a target at arbitrary range.  The current implementation samples the received radar signal (after being mixed down) to determine the radar frequency and uses a PXI-5651 signal generator to supply a CW signal at the appropriate frequency for the reply.  There is a need to precisely (<10 Hz resolution) control the frequency supplied by the signal generator and the PXI-5651 works well for this.

I am now trying to move to an embedded implementation, but have not found a good replacement for the signal generator.  The frequency precision required is too great for the VCOs I've looked at, and the frequency (1.22-1.4 GHz) is too high for direct digital synthesis.  Ideally, I'd like a stand alone module that is controlled by a digital signal.  The only solutions I've found are bench-top test equipment and cards such as the PXI-5651.  I would prefer not to use a PXI card (or PXIe, PCI, etc.) because I don't need the rest of the system and don't want to have to deal with an operating system.

Anyone know of a standalone module that can supply a signal with the frequency precision I need?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,540 Views)

Scott,

When you mention that you are looking for a more embedded implementation, what exactly are you referencing? With regards to the 5651 itself, I'm not aware of anything else we have that would come close to those specifications. The only smaller embedded options would be looking at a cRIO application, but pushing it up in to these frequency ranges would be a stretch at best. The PXI form factor would be the best for what you are looking for in regards to performance and flexibility. As you're aware, you will likely need to look elsewhere for a more 'contained' solution to that specific need, so hopefully someone here may be able to shed some light on possibilities they are aware of.

Timothy S.
Senior Technical Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,528 Views)