From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selected wrong thermocouple type

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear all,

I erroneously selected the type J thermocouple instead of type K when using the NI USB-TC01. I would really be happy, if anyone could tell me, how I can now calculate the correct temperature from my measurement data?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,877 Views)

Step 1: Google "type j thermocouple characteristic".

Step 2: Find this amazing reference document: https://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z021-032.pdf

Step 3: Find the polynomial terms for a J type and a K in Table 4 on page Z26

Step 4: Derive the original sensor voltage using the J terms and recalculate the temperature using the K terms.

I do not know whether the cold junction compensation needs to be looked at as well.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,871 Views)

That's my main problem: Which temperature is assumed for the cold junction?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,848 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author flo87

all TC conversion polynomes are already available in LV 🙂

And shure, you need at least a good guess of your CJC temperature 😄

I added a vi to correct and get an idea how big the error due to wrong CJC migth be.

TC recalc.png

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,830 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author flo87

Vielen Dank, Henrik!

Meanwhile I found, that there is a temperature sensor inside the NI USB-TC01 measuring the cold junction temperature to compensate it. And it seems like the electronics around the cold junction create a quite stationary temperature somewhere at 32°C after some warm-up time.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,827 Views)