Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter Point by point

Hello,

I’m trying to understand LabVIEW filters and the application of point by point filter and a nom PtByPt filter.I attached an example where I applied two Butterworth filters (one is a PtByPt and another isn’t) to the same signal. My problem is, the filtered results should be the same and in this example they aren’t. Can anyone, please tell me what is wrong in my code?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(8,831 Views)

here is a small but important change 😉

Make yourself familar on how numerical filter work.ALL filters have some kind of memory , if not every single value represent just a DC value 😉

The pt by pt filters are nice if you want a pt. by pt update of a value while you have a not so fast samplerate. 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(8,824 Views)

Hi Henrik,

I forgot to mention, I’m using LabVIEW 7.0. Could you save your changes in LV7.0 version, please? So I could open it. Thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(8,817 Views)

can't backsave to 7.0, so here is a picture. Basically i wrapped the ptbypt filter with a loop and swapped it with the index. 

The difference is in the range of e-17 🙂 

ptbyptv2.png

uups a bug in vi snippet? the input cluster for the  sine waveform should be filled with your values....

Message Edited by Henrik Volkers on 04-01-2010 10:19 AM
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(8,803 Views)

Thanks alot for your reply, It works very well. Smiley Happy

But still, why I can’t apply the PtByPt filter to a single value as I did in my first example??
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(8,791 Views)

Risul wrote:

Thanks alot for your reply, It works very well. Smiley Happy

But still, why I can’t apply the PtByPt filter to a single value as I did in my first example??

See my first answer.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(8,751 Views)

Dear  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,356 Views)

Hey, you found out that for numerical filters the ratio of fc/fs is the important fact 😄 

In numeric signal processing you often normalize fs to 1 ;),

in that case both filters behave the same (for the numerical array).. even if in your vi the filter artifact at the beginning looks different, but that's because of different filter init conditiotions in your vi (loop) .. should be the same in the first run 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,349 Views)

Dear 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,346 Views)

Sorry. I didn't get what you wan to say/achieve...

Some basic lectures on digital signal processing/digital filter design are always a good idea if you deal with data aquisition 🙂

(mine are about 30a ago 😉 )

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,338 Views)