From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data acquisition rate of computer board via RS232C vs PCI6036E

hi,

I am using a laser scan micrometer to measure width of a stretching sample, which it would contract during stretching.
this laser scan micrometer is doing real-time measurement and data acquisition.
NI device is PCI6036E, LabView 8.2,
this laser scan micrometer is outputting analog signal to computer CPU via RS232C, baud rate 9600, COM1,
here i attached the vi. CPU specification is Dell Precision690, Dual-core Intel (R) Xeon (R) Processor 5060 3, 2GHz/1066MHz/2x2MB L2 Cache, Windows XP.

my question is, how to make the data acquisition rate similar to the rate of other sensors which via PCI6036E & SC2345. The Data Acquisition.vi has written
to allow users determine the data capture rate (default  is 500 per second), I was using the rate of 100 per second for one test (stretching 4.5 seconds and
holding 5 seconds, total of 9.5 seconds, I should get 950 datas once the test completed), and the amount of data captured was the
same for all sensors, but, when i import these data to spreadsheet, data of laser scan micrometer aggregated within the first 200 data and finished on last data in constant, 
while other sensors spread the data accordingly. I don't understand what went wrong.  

appreciate your kind advice and thanks in advance.

Deylan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,006 Views)

Hi Deylan,

We will have much more luck to find the root of the problem if you could clarify your questions:

1. Are you trying to use a DAQ card to emulate the communication with an RS232?

2. I noticed some Thermocouple wording on the images you posted. Are these different sensors to your application or they are completely uncorrelated.

3. Where is this program come from? How familiar with LabVIEW are you?

4. Could you break this program into a small piece of code that explain your problem further?

Hope this gives you an idea on what is the type of information that anyone who is looking at the forums will be able to provide valuable input.

Gerardo O.
RF SW Engineering R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,991 Views)