From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO 9064 as Ethernet controller

Hi guys,

i have a device that needs to be controlled through ethernet/ip using cRIO 9064. This device only has ethernet/ip adapter and requires ethernet/ip controller to achieve ethernet/ip communication.

My question is, can i use cRIO 9064 as the ethernet/ip controller for this device? How?

Thanks,

Jepz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,852 Views)

You can put the device on the same subnet that the cRIO lives on and communicate to it with TCP palette functions. If it is TCP modbus device there is library alread for it you can use. I don't know how your work area is setup, but my HMIs conenct to the cRIO we run throught the facility routers/ office ethernet. The routers are in a closet somewhere. This is fine for the user interface connection but I would not have the cRIO go through the office routers to control a device that helps run your process/ machine.

If you want to create a private subnet so that nothing other than the cRIO can communicate to the device, and keep all hardware local to the cRIO, you can configure the cRIO's second ethernet port ETH1 as ethernet, and connect the device and the cRIO to an industrial type router mounted adjacent to the device and the cRIO. Then the only the CRIO acts as buffer between the device and the outside world.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,840 Views)