Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Compact Flash with ETS

Is it possible to use a IDE to Compact Flash adapter with Labview RT running ETS?  If so, are their any pitfalls in choosing the correct compact flash card (PIO, DMA, UDMA, True IDE)?  The cRIO product line is using and industrial grade CF card.  What kind of CF card is being used in cRIO?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,298 Views)
Can you provide a bit more information? Compact RIO targets which run ETS operating systems do not have usb access and thus cannot have an external compact flash device. What RT target are you trying to connect you adapter to? The Compact RIO product line does use internal compact flash memory, but it varies from model to model. Can you be more specific as to which Compact RIO device?
Asa Kirby
CompactRIO Product Marketing Manager
(3,282 Views)
Sorry If I was not clear, the IDE to compact flash converter board is for a PC running ETS.  I was refering to cRIO because I know inside is a compact flash.  The IDE to CF converter board is from Addonics, ADIDECF-N.

Because there are many different flavors of compact flash, some that operate in PIO mode and others that are DMA, I was interested in which type of CF would be supported in ETS such as the cRIO 9002/9004.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,279 Views)
Hi Dwisti,

The link you provided indicates that the Addonics IDE to CF adapter is not supported on ETS.  Also, the Requirements for a Desktop PC as a Real-Time Target gives the hard drive requirements as Parallel ATA (IDE) or Serial ATA (AHCI) with the FAT32 file system on the primary partition of the drive.  However, you did not indicate if you want to boot ETS from the CF or simply use it as storage.  If you're trying to boot ETS from the CF, you can try the instructions in How Can I Test My PC For Compatibility with LabVIEW Real-Time or LabWindows/CVI Real-Time for Deskt...  The tool will evaluate the hardware in the PC for compatability with ETS.  It would be an interesting experiment.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,264 Views)