From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Real Time

Hi,

I needed to communicate with a serial port in the order of microseconds. the standard Labview can only give us resolution of loop delay in the order of 1ms. To go further down in resolution, i learnt that we have to use Labview Real Time. 

1. Is this correct?

I assumed it the case and tried to install the Labview realTime trial version on a Win 10 64 bit PC with LV2019 f1 64-bit. 

I am getting the below shown error. Any ideas how to install Labview RealTime? 

Thanks for your suggestions.

dattu78_0-1604681643089.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,218 Views)

What type of serial port are you using?  RS-422 UART?  RS-232 UART?  SPI?  Some other weird "serial" protocol that is out there (and there are a lot of them)?

And how tight of timing do you need?  Assuming UART, microseconds is still very tight and you will have to use a high baud rate.  Even at 115200 baud, you are looking at ~87us per byte.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,200 Views)

@crossrulz, thanks for your response.

I am using 115200 baud on RS-232 UART, i understand 87us per byte timing. 

I am looking for a loop timing about 700us.

Do u think it would be achievable with normal Labview without RT?? If not, do u have any suggestion how to install the LV RT?

Thanks.   

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,197 Views)

Less than 1 ms? You probably want FPGA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,168 Views)

Of course, now I have to ask we you need such fast timing.  Reading that quickly is possible in Windows with the right assumptions, but it will not be consistent.  Perhaps you can share some more details on your application?  The message protocol is what I am most interested in at the moment.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,165 Views)

Its a serial port device I am trying to communicate. The serial port typically has three pins: Rx, Tx and Gnd. The receiver looks for exact string as command and sends out a response. No other handshaking is involved. 

We would like to see the module's response under faster speeds.

You mentioned FPGA for faster speeds. Do you mean Labview FPGA module? If so, how can i use that? do you have any demo program ?

I am looking for a FOR loop that would send commands at about 100us and receive them at the same speeds.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,161 Views)