cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC offset on input of 5782 module

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

I'm using a flex rio system with a 5782 module ( the DC coupled version)

We have some trouble with the analog inputs AI0 and AI1, we measure a DC voltage of 250 mV on both inputs.

The module has been returned for repair but no problems were found.

I wander if other modules have the same "problem" so is there anyone out there that can do this simple test:

Disconnect your cable from AI0 or AI1 and measure the voltage on the bare input terminal with a simple multimeter.

If other modules also have this Dc offset then it's probably the "nature of the beast"

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,248 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Flow_Cat

I measured +250 mV DC offset on the AI0 and AI1 inputs of my DC-coupled NI 5782 also. NI should have included that in their spec sheet.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,311 Views)

Thanks dr_b,

This indeed confirms that all DC coupled NI5782 modules have got this DC offset.

This was also the conclusion of the NI service engineers that helped me, and I must admit that I forgot to post this conclusion.

Meanwhile we changed our hardware connected to the inputs and created a work around for the offset.

So my problem is "solved" but I agree that NI should have mentionned this in the specs.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,306 Views)

Hello, i have been going through same issue and i finally stumbled upon this. I thought there was a problem with the impedance mismatch, but it seems it starts to make sense if there is a DC offset internally in the input.  See attached picture, when i plug in the AI of the 5782, there is a shift on the original sine wave input.

ImpedanceIssue_w_5782_connector.png

My second question is what did you do for the workaround?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,509 Views)

I had to add an analog level shifter circuit.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,487 Views)

Hi is there any other way to source down the DC offset without having to design an analog level shifter?

Im trying to read the output signal of an transimpedance amplifer connected to a photodiode sum circuit signal. However, when i connect this output signal to AI0 or AI1 of the 5782, the impedance amplifier receives a spike of around 120 mV. 

hoping to hear an easier more straightfoward work-around.

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,071 Views)

The only thing I can think of is if you're not using one of the analog input channels, you could invert its offset with an op amp and add it to the analog input of the other channel in a summing circuit which may give you a result that works. I haven't tried that approach, I just ended up digitally compensating for it after it was digitized.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,057 Views)