Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis Programming Mode - Where is setting stored?

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by RVallieu

I actually found the way to do this yesterday. NI System configuration has a property node called "System Hardware" with a property  called "cRIO Module Programming Mode". This can be set to Scan Engine or FPGA mode.

It would be nice if the help documentation for the dialog window in the project mentioned this property. It caused me quite a bit of headache to find it!

Cheers,

Ian K.
Software Developer
Data Ahead AG
Message 11 of 15
(1,463 Views)

Hey Ian,

We added that property in CompactRIO 17.6 with the release of CompactRIO with DAQmx (e.g. the cRIO-904x models). It will only work on those models and should error on others (e.g. 903x). There's a few other caveats about it, which all fall under the idea of 'you can switch modes, but the backend for the mode you're switching to must be ready' - for example, to switch a module slot into FPGA mode dynamically you'd need to have a bitfile pre-compiled with code for that module, in that slot.

Edit: here's documentation on the three programming modes for the cRIO-904x models. These are similar to "FPGA Interface Mode" and "Scan Interface Mode" used on other controllers, but are controlled by a different backplane architecture.

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,352 Views)

Hello Ian,

I tried the way you mentioned, but still, I am getting error. Attached screenshot, let me know what I am missing.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(1,086 Views)

Look at the example in the Example Finder : "904x Basics- Mode Switching.lvproj"  Your code needs to modified.

nibuddy1777_0-1626443038055.png

However, I am not getting the settings to be persistent. The reboot boolean doesn't indicate a needed restart for the changes to take affect.  So a little confused on this. I am also looking for a way to to do this for the 906x cRIO.  This is for test and manufacturing deployment where we need to switch into scan mode for test and then deploy with the RAD utility for the factory image. However, the RAD utility doesn't include the Chassis/Module settings. I saw on github that this was being added (I am assuming again only support for 904x/905x)  https://github.com/ni/rad/pull/4.

I was wondering if I have to use LV Scripting and use a configured project on my test station specifically for configuring.  It would be really nice to automate all these project-only settings.  

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(937 Views)

UPDATE:  the settings are persistent but during testing you have to make sure that you don't overwrite the settings by a deploy from the project.  So this works for the 904x. The LV scripting from the project is going to cause problems if the project didn't have all the same VIs.  I was thinking of a having a nearly empty project that I would open vi VI Server and get the Targets that have the cRIO and the deploy items but it wasn't really working.  Probably just easier to migrate over to the 904x/905x for newer systems and do manually deploys for the existing systems. Just would be nice if the RAD utility API would have ALL of the settings when it comes to FPGA/RT systems including the chassis/module modes.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(935 Views)