Past NIWeek Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Week 2016 Accommodation

I'm finally coming to NI Week02016, my first.  It feels like I've been programming LabVIEW all my life, it's about time I made my pilgrimage.

I was wondering does anyone have recommendations on accommodation in Austin or is it already "take whatever you can find" at this stage already?  I know there are hotels listed on the NI webpage. Is that a good source or does anyone have any alternative tips?

It'll be my first time in Texas and I don't do well with hot weather so perhaps distance to the conference center is one of the more important aspects......

Message 1 of 31
(6,742 Views)

I am excited that you are coming to NI Week!

The conference rates via the NI website are typically better than what you can get elsewhere, but the number of rooms are limited. This year, we booked again at the Radisson, but I've stayed at several other places (hampton inn, hilton garden inn, omni etc.) over the years. they are all pretty close, except for the omni, which is a few more blocks away. The radisson got a nice remodel a few years ago and is right on the lake next to congress bridge.

It gets cheaper if you go further away, but there are probably no real good deals during the big conferences. One year we stayed at the super 8, which is quite a dump but was only about $60/night. (Probably more by now). I actually enjoyed the 20 minute walk along Waller Creek, it was not a big deal. In addition, it was close to Franklins BBQ (look at the well deserved  ratings!), but you might not have time to stand in line for 2 hours 🐵

There are other options such as airbnb, but I am not familiar with them. Ask around, maybe you can share a room.

Message 2 of 31
(6,736 Views)

Yeah go through the NI week recommendations if you can.  I heard they give discounts for saying you are there for the conference.  The Hilton is probably the best for its location, but isn't cheap.  Luckily that's where I'll be staying for the first time.

The first year I went I stayed at the Holiday Inn, which wasn't terrible but it is a 1 mile from the convention center, but it is in the opposite direction of most of the action after the convention which is generally to the north.  In the morning the hotel would give free rides to the convention, then I'd either walk, find a ride, or get a pedicab back at night.  Rainey isn't the best area and walking through it at night can be a bit shady but I never felt worried.  They turned a bunch of homes there into restaurants that stay open late but I remember few street lights.  Not terrible overall but having a hotel closer, where you can drop off stuff would have been nicer.  

I also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn last year and it was close enough and had good enough accommodations, and close enough.

Oh and I stayed at InnterContinental which was nice too, and in the general direction of the after event action.

Message 3 of 31
(6,709 Views)

Cool, thanks guys. Just wanted to double check I wasn't about to make some noob mistake going for the NINTENDO recommended hotels.

Lol autocorrect. I'll leave it there for posterity. NI equals Nintendo. Who'dve thought.

Message 4 of 31
(6,705 Views)

Apparently you text Nintendo more often than you text NI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 31
(6,689 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

Cool, thanks guys. Just wanted to double check I wasn't about to make some noob mistake going for the NINTENDO recommended hotels.

Hey, the NES was the greatest video game system EVER!!!  Too bad all of the hotels I have seen on it were either 4 beds in an open room (yes, I have played way too much Final Fantasy) or there are criminals all over the place that you have to shoot to get the real bad guy.  So I do not recommend staying in any of those.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 31
(6,672 Views)

We stayed at the Hyatt during the last NI week.  It was new.  It was close.  It was great!  

We would go back and highly recommend it.   Plus they ser ve breakfast bar (included).  Can't go wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31
(6,669 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Apparently you text Nintendo more often than you text NI.

Well, my kids try to tell me they're not searching for the release date of the next pokemon game (sun & moon) when they should be doing homework, but autocorrect apparently never forgets!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31
(6,649 Views)

On a related note: For my EU colleagues with experience flying to and  from the US......

How long do I need to calculate for a connecting flight.  I read different things regarding having to collect bags and re-check in for a domestic flight or having "expedited" checks.  I only ever flew one leg of a flight at a time in the US, so I have no experience with layovers.

Also, are there any airports to generally avoid?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31
(6,644 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

We would go back and highly recommend it.   Plus they ser ve breakfast bar (included).  Can't go wrong. 

Why do you need a breakfast bar when there is free (but somewhat limited) breakfast at the convention?  That's what I always rely on, assuming I can get up early enough for it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 31
(6,629 Views)