PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programmatically exit or disable Soft Off state

Hello All,

I've accidentally gotten my remote chassis disconnected a couple times in the last few days.  They are getting into the "Soft Off" state (PWR OK/FAULT LED blinking green).

Is there a way to programmatically exit Soft Off?

Is there a way to prevent that state from ever occurring?

I don't believe a WOL from the host PC is an option for us, and shorting the inhibit line (even for a lengthy period), does not bring the controller back, it powers right into soft off state.  After the controller is in "Soft Off" I cannot get it to return to active without either pushing the power button, or pulling the power cord.  Both of these actions require i be physically near the chassis.

HOW I accidentally got them into "Soft Off":  I was working on some LabVIEW to interrogate the power supplies connected to the chassis via COM1.  This code was accidentally shorting the inhibit line for short periods of time (short meaning <0.5s).    Longer holding of the inhibit line works as expected (chassis off / chassis on) but this short pulse puts the controller into "soft off".  Maybe this is by design and documented somewhere?

PXI Chassis 1085 - Real Time controller 8135

Host PC Win7 Enterprise - LV2012

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,930 Views)

Hi beavercreek, 

Have you looked into the BIOS and changed the Restore After Power Loss setting under the Power/Wake Configuration Submenu? Can you tell me what that is set to? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,897 Views)

Hello ToeTickler,

The "Restore After Power Loss" is definitely set to "Turn ON".

I have colleagues overseas who also use this chassis, so we don't want a lightening storm shutting the thing down for days at a time.

I just think its funny that Soft Off can be entered via pulsing the chassis inhibit line, and holding the inhibit line for a longer period does not bring it back.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,879 Views)

Can you tell me which pins you were shorting on COM 1 and what the position of the inhibit switch is on the back of the chassis? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,828 Views)