PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI devices not recognized after rebooting

I am using a PXI-1044 crate with a 8195 controller. I have different cards, 6602, 5105, 6722, 6244. In MAX I see all devices configured properly under the name for example NI PXI-6602:"PXI1Slot3". I want a more descriptive name, so in MAX I rename it to "Timing1". It usually works with no problem, but sometimes after rebooting the controller the PXI configuration in MAX appears all messed up (see attached file). The device is recognized but under the old name. And a device with the new name shows up as unrecognized. Obviously, all my Labview coding is messed up because is referenced to the cards with the new names.

Why is this happening?
How can I avoid this behavior?

Thanks!!

Raimon Pousa
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(5,619 Views)
Hi Raimon,

Not that this is a solution for your problem but, I mostly use alias names in MAX.
When you use these alias names you can change a COM port, PXI slot or even a computer without any change in your labview program.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(5,598 Views)
Hello Raimon,

Thank you for visiting the National Instruments Discussion Forums.  I have a few questions regarding your setup which should help us to diagnose the cause of this issue.

Firstly, does this happen when you reboot the PXI-8195, or when you reboot the PC or both?  Also, how have you networked your controller?  Is it via a hub or switch or directly via crossover cable to a PC?  Could you verify the IP address of the controller, and then reboot to reproduce the card renaming issue and re-verify the IP address? Does the IP address change or remain the same when this phenomenon occurs? If you are not currently connecting directly with a crossover cable, could you try this temporarily to see if the issue still exists?

Regards,

Jennifer O.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(5,583 Views)
Hello Jennifer,

The problem happened when I reboot the PXI-8195 and while I was developing/testing the application. The PC and the PXI are connected via an ethernet switch, with static IP addresses. I can't reproduce the problem because usually rebooting the PXI-8195 doesn't cause any problem. I've just seen the issue described 3 times in a month. While testing my application sometimes I reboot the controller because I'm tracking the memory and CPU usage and I like to compare different VI performances from a known state. Let me know if you need more info on this issue.

Thank you KC for your comment. I'll check out this alias names provisional solution.

Raimon
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(5,576 Views)
Hi Raimon,

This really is a strange behavior that you are seeing. I am currently looking into potential causes.  It would really help me to know what version of the DAQmx driver you are working with and the version of MAX that you have on the PC.

I understand that this is difficult for you to reproduce.  If there are any details at all that you may remember about when it happened in the past it would be helpful (i.e. if there is anything in common such as a power loss or a particular application running prior to shut-down).

Regards,

Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(5,547 Views)
Hi Jennifer,

MAX version is 4.1.0.3001
DAQmx version is 8.3.0f0

I think in one instance the strange behavior happened after running out of RAM memory in the 8195 controller. I'm streaming data to disk and while monitoring CPU and memory of the controller I noticed memory when up to almost 100%, so I changed the way I process the data. I think after that I reboot the controller and my DAQmx device names where no longer recognized.

I'll keep this thread updated if I have more info.

Thanks,

Raimon
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(5,545 Views)
Jennifer,

It has happened again. I'm acquiring data and stream it to a TDMS file. I then download the data to my PC through the ftp server in the PXI controller. In my last run I noticed the file was too small, and I also had this error:

Error 2 occurred at TDMS Write in Stream digitizers to disk.vi->NIB component.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Memory is full.
=========================
NI-488:  Write detected no Listeners.

So I deleted several data files I had in the PXI  hard drive and rebooted the controller. After rebooting I went to MAX and again, cards were recognized but under the old name. So I have to rename the cards again...

KC, can you brief me in how to use alias names in MAX? Thanks!

Raimon Pousa

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(5,544 Views)

Message Edited by Jesse O on 05-09-2007 08:46 PM

Jesse O. | National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(5,526 Views)
Hello Raimon,

Thank you for providing me with your version information. I will let you know when I hear back from R&D regarding the DAQmx naming.  I wanted to provide you with a short-term solution since it looks like this is important to you.

I am not sure what KC had in mind.  I do know that with some of our modular instruments such as the NI-DMMs or Switches you can call the board based upon the VISA alias or the NI-DAQmx name. This is an option with the driver.  In this case you can set the alias in MAX by right-clicking the resource and choosing rename.  If an alias does not already exist you can set it through the VISA options within the Tools menu.  Depending on what is happening with the configuration for your chassis, you may find that the aliases are also affected.  Additionally if you are creating DAQmx tasks, you cannot directly use the VISA alias.  Perhaps K C will provide some more insight into the VISA solution.

I would however like to suggest that you can use a DAQmx System Property Node to retrive the DAQmx device names in your system.  You can then use a DAQmx Device Property Node to determine the model or serial number which corresponds with each device name.  If you want the user to be able to select a meaningful name for each device, you can create a 2D array of meaningful names paired with the model or serial number. This will enable you to use a meaningful name independently of the configuration. 

I hope this will help until we find a resolution.  Let me know if you have any questions regarding DAQmx property nodes.

Regards,

Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(5,522 Views)
Hi Raimon,

The issue you are seeing may occur if the driver encounters an error in trying to communicate with the chassis. I have two suggestions which may remedy the lost association with your boards:

1) If you restart the PC as well as the RT controller, do the devices re-associate?
2) Configure your system to connect through a DHCP servier instead of using a static IP address and place the static IP address in the secondary configuration.  Wait for the host to connect before starting MAX.  If the problem occurs, try restarting MAX.

If you are able to reproduce the issue, does the first suggestion help?  If you follow the second suggestion and you see the problem arise again can you please let me know.

Thanks,

Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(5,503 Views)