PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI devices not recognized after rebooting

Hi Jennifer,

Like I said it was not a solution for the problem. The trigger was that Raimon said that his LV code was messed-up.

To avoid that I use aliases.

If you rename your DAQmx device you can use that new name in your LV program, in that way you make your LV program independent off your hardware assignments.

I use the same for COM ports. Develop my VI’s on my PC and kan use them on a other system without any change, just using the correct (alias) name.

So again no solution but maybe some help to make it easier and prevent recoding in case of a change.

But reading Raimon message again I saw that he already use this so he know’s.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(3,601 Views)
Hi Jennifer,

The issue has happened again, twice. The first time was early in the morning; I started my computer, then the PXI, and when I opened my project to continue the development I realized the device names were changed again. I tried to restart both my computer and the PXI but same problem.

Regarding option 2, could you extend on why using a DHCP server would fix the problem?

When you say "the driver encounters an error in trying to communicate with the chassis", which driver you mean? Would it be possible that some of my drivers are corrupt and that a driver update would fix the problem?

Thank you!!

Raimon
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(3,584 Views)
Hi Raimon,

When you restart the computer and PXI, which do you boot up first? Can you delete the new default-named devices in max and then restart to see if the red X's will disappear and the modules appear under the custom name again?

As far as the driver encountering an error - this does not mean you have a corrupt driver.  It simply means DAQmx tries to communicate with the boards, but is temporarily unable to locate them or they are not in the location MAX expects. An update of your drivers wouldn't hurt, but without knowing the cause of the issue I do not think this will solve the problem.

As for DHCP, I do not have the details as to why this may fix the problem.  I am currently trying to get the details on this proposed solution.  This may take some time to get an answer, but I will let you know as soon as I hear.

Regards,

Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(3,561 Views)
Hi Jennifer,

I can't delete the new default names because I don't have the option, it is grayed out.
I restart the PXI crate, then check names in MAX, restart my laptop, check names in MAX, restart the PXI again. The problem persists.
Now the PXI crate gets the IP address from the company's DHCP server. But today the problem has happened again.

At this point it might save me time to just keep the old names like "PXI1Slot3"...

All this is a problem while developing the application with my laptop. The final application will consist of a stand-alone real-time executable. I believe with an executable this won't be a problem, right? The executable must reference to the hardware names, right?

Raimon
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(3,553 Views)
Hi Raimon,

Thank you for the detailed update, I think this will help us to get a better handle on what is going on.  I will pass this information along.

It might make sense to stick with the default names for now, or to use the work around of using property nodes to query your devices and retrieve their names.  However I would like to ideally get to the bottom of what is happening so that we can resolve the problem. Would you be able to send me an image of your controller so that I can try to reproduce the issue here?

Unfortunately I do not believe this issue will disappear with a start-up executable.  DAQmx still references devices in the same manner.  If the configuration remains intact on the RT controller, you should not have a problem.  However, if this issue is a result of an error in the configuration on the controller, then the application will most likely have an error in trying to communicate with your DAQ boards.

To send me an image of your controller, you can create an email service request by requesting support at ni.com/support.  Please reference my name so that the email will be sent to me directly.

Regards,

Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(3,537 Views)
Hi Jennifer,

I'm not sure I know what you mean with an image of the controller. What do I have to do to get this?

Raimon
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(3,526 Views)
Hi Raimon,

By image I mean a disk image.  A disk image is a "snapshot" of the contents of the harddrive.  This is something which is generally created as a backup to restore your computer, but can also be used to create multiple identical systems.  In this case it would enable us to create an identical system here for testing purposes.

In the case of a Real Time controller you should be able to easily transfer the contents of the drive to your Windows PC as a folder instead of creating a true "image".  You can then compress the folder to a single .zip file.  Depending on the resulting size, you may be able to attach this to an email or if it is too large, upload it via ftp.  I can provide further detail if you would like to send me an email via the Request Support option mentioned in my previous post.

Regards,

Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(3,162 Views)
Hi Jennifer,

I have uploaded an image  of my 8195 controller to the ftp.ni.com site. The file is called 8195 image.zip.  Let me know  if you don't get it right.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(3,120 Views)
Hi Raimon,

Thank you for uploading the requested image.  I am working to recreate your setup and will keep you updated.

Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(3,078 Views)
Hi Raimon,

I set up a controller using the files you provided.  All of your devices continue to show correctly (although not present in the system).  I also added several DAQ boards of my own giving them each unique names.  A cycled through rebooting both my PC and the RT system multiple times without seeing any problems on in the MAX configuration.

Some additional suggestions that I came up with during testing follow:

1)You can export your RT configuration so that if the problem persists, you can simply import the configuration to restore the system without having to manually rename devices.

2)If the problem occurs again, can you export the problem configuration, fix the naming and try importing the bad configuration.  This could help us to see the corrupt configuration.  Let me know if you encounter any errors trying to perform the import/export.  In case you have not done this before, you can follow this KB:Export and Import Files in Measurement & Automation Explorer.

Regards,

Jennifer O.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(2,825 Views)