PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8464 Can Test Panel

Solved!
Go to solution

When you say that the 8513 card is connected remotely, do you mean that it is in a Real-Time PXI Chassis that you can find under Remote Systems in MAX? If so, you cannot use the bus monitor on Real-Time targets. Is there any particular reason why you want to write frames through MAX instead of through LabVIEW? The NI-XNET Bus Montior can only be used with devices connected directly to your computer.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 31
(1,668 Views)

Yes your assumption is correct.

There is no particular reason why I wanted to write frames in MAX instead of LabVIEW. 

I was curious to see if it was possible to simply send a frame to quickly change state of a part.

DO you have any examples that would enable me to send and receive frames via labview?

I would need to be able to send a frame and then receive a frame from an ECU that the part did in fact change state.

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 31
(1,667 Views)

We have examples in the example finder that denonstrate how to send and receive frames using the PXI-8513. I am attaching a screenshot of the location of the project in the example finder that has multiple VIs that can suit your needs. In particular, I think the "CAN Frame Input Stream (Session).vi" and "CAN Frame Output Stream (Session).vi" will be of particular interest to you. You can run these VIs simultaenously to read and write frames from your CAN bus.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 31
(1,664 Views)

Thanks!

Unfortunately my version of LabView does not have those examples.

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 31
(1,660 Views)

What version of LabVIEW do you have? What version of the NI-CAN driver do you have? I'm assuming you still have the NI-XNET 1.4 driver installed?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 31
(1,657 Views)

The Machine that has the PXI 8513 has NI-XNET 1.1.1 and the version of LabVIEW it has is 9.0.1

The machine that has the updated driver installed on it has LabVIEW version 8 and 1.4 NI-XNET.

The first unit is currently in use and I do not want to make any changes to it.

The second unit is something that I can play with.

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 31
(1,653 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author smoothdurban

NI-XNET 1.4 does not support LabVIEW 8. It only supports LabVIEW 8.6 and later. This why you cannot see the examples in your Example Finder. If you can, I would recommend upgrading to a later version of LabVIEW so that you can make full use of the XNET driver.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 31
(1,651 Views)

I tried installing the Driver on my stand alone unit which has LabVIEW V 9 and  I have been able to find the sample programs which you referred to.

Thanks for your help.

Have you ever heard of any abnormal effects when install NI.XNET 1.4?

A signal express program I used to run frequently no longer works and I am trying to track down the source of the problem

I have tried a system restore but upon retrying to run the program Signal Express doesn't load.  When I try to run max I get the "M & A explorer has encountered an unexpected error"

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 31
(1,641 Views)

I am not aware of any complications with the NI-XNET driver and Signal Express. I would recommed first, Removing the database corruption in your Measurment & Automation Explorer(MAX). To do this, open MAX and go to Tools >> Reset Configuration Data and then select yes. It will clear the database corruption tool and reset your computer. This should allow you to use MAX again normally. Ideally, this will allow you to use MAX and Signal Express again.

I'm happy that you were able to access the example programs in NI-XNET.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 31
(1,639 Views)

Hmm

I have tried Resetting the configuration however the program file I need to open in Signal Express stalls.  By stalls I mean it opens but get to a certain point and no longer progresses.  The process is still listed as active however it is not allocated any CPU time.

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 31
(1,635 Views)