PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8464 Can Test Panel

Solved!
Go to solution

The baud rate will need to be set to whatever you determined it should be when configuring your CAN ports. I am attaching a copy of your original screenshot with a section of it highlighted. It appears, from your screenshot, that your baud rate should be set to 500k.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 31
(1,219 Views)

Hmm still not able to receive any signals.

I have been tasked with trying to determine whether or not a mechanism exists which will allow me to simply send and receive can signals using existing NI equipment.

Using measurement and automation explorer I am able to navigate "CAN Channels"  which has a create message function.  WOuld I be able to use this to create and transmit a CAN message over a CAN network?

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31
(1,208 Views)

Hi,

When you try to use the NI-CAN Test Panels in MAX, do you see frames being sent and received? Are you able to see the frame being sent?

You can try transmitting CAN messages over a bus monitor by using our NI-XNET Driver. With NI-XNET interfaces, you can develop applications for prototyping, simulating, and testing LIN, FlexRay and CAN networks faster and more easily in NI LabVIEW and LabVIEW Real-Time as well as C/C++. You can download the driver here: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2645/lang/en

Once you have the driver installed, verify that the communications are working using this document: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/29B1BA306ADB423A8625761800594631

Once you verify that the driver works for you, you should be able to transmit frames through the XNET bus monitor to the rest of your application and see communication.

I hope this helps.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 31
(1,199 Views)

I have downloaded and installed the driver.  However after the system reboot MAX did not locate any NI-XNET devices so I was un able to complete the instructions listed on the NI-XNET loopback test.

I have verified the software by trying to reinstall the driver.  The message I got was driver was already installed and that I was shut down the system and install my NI-XNET Cards.  Will this driver work with my NI PXI 8464 CAN/XS Series two cards?

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 31
(1,193 Views)

smoothdurban,

Because your device is a legacy device, meaning it's older and has since been replaced with a newere version, I knew there was a possibility that the XNET driver would not work for your card. However, because there was a possibility, I wanted you to explore it. After ruling that out, I spoke with some other engineers about the behavior you're seeing.

Since your loopback test is working, it has been established that your card is working. However since you cannot see frames using the bus monitor or the Can Receive. which both are designed to work properly, are you sure that you're writing frames to your CAN bus?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 31
(1,191 Views)

I am writing frames now! I connect my cancase and ran my canalyzer and I am now reading can messages.

I guess the next step would be for me to send them from MAX to the can network. 

Can this be done from MAX?

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 31
(1,189 Views)

No, you cannot write frames through the Bus Monitor/Test Panels in MAX. Those are strictly for monitoring the CAN Channel. You would need to write frames through LabVIEW due to your card being a legacy card.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 31
(1,187 Views)

I also have a PXI 8513.  Would I be able to write frames with using this card?

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31
(1,185 Views)

Yes. The PXI-8513 is supported by the XNET driver and you should be able to write frames using the XNET Bus Monitor according to the document I sent you previously.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 31
(1,182 Views)

The set up that I have with the 8513 card is connected remotely and when I open MAX I am able to open the NI-XNET Devices.

However there is no icon to open the Bus Monitor.

I tried to access this function by opening it directly by navigating the following pathway programs/National Instruments/NI XNet however when I open the Bus Monitor I am unable to select and interface as it is greyed out.  Is it possible my controls supplier had removed access to this function?

If so how can I restore it.

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 31
(1,180 Views)