PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help Synchronizing NI-SCOPE and NI-FGEN

Hello, 

I am rather new to using LabView so I need some help to get my work off the ground. I have a PXI system with a PXI-5421 AWG and a PXI-5122 High-Speed Digitizer with LabView 8.6. I want to be able to send a pulse from the AWG through a system and capture the response in the Digitizer. To easily accomlish this task and to get an accurate measurement, I want to syncronize the two devices to a common trigger so that both will turn on and then off at the same time. 

I found this example for using NI-TCLK to syncronize the two devices

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5029

which, to me, appears to be exactly what I need. The webpage claims that the VI works for my particular PXI devices and everything. However, I cannot seem to get the example to work. If I just put in the I/O Resources for the AWG and Digitizer I get the following error:

Error -250016 occurred at niTClk Synchronize.vi:1

Possible reason(s):

NI-TClk cannot find a common TClk period that works for all the specified sessions.  The invalid TClk period may be produced by either an incompatible combination of sample clock rates or large differences between input path pipeline delays between sessions.

This is probably because the default sampling rate (40.00M) is higher than the sampling rate of one of the devices I think, so I turned down the sampling rate to be below 20.00M. However, once the sampling rate is below 20.00M, I get this error: 

Error -1074126845 occurred at niScope Fetch Cluster.vi:1

Possible reason(s):
Maximum time exceeded before the operation completed.

Status Code: -200284

If I do a trace, the program gets stuck at the 'niScope Fetch (poly)' block. I don't quite understand LabView well enough to figure out what the problem is myself so that I thought someone here could help. If there is also a better way to do this, please let me know. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,318 Views)
Nevermind, I figured out my problem. I just wasn't setting up the trigger to the PFI 0 port properly.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,298 Views)

Hi!

I am glad that you were able to find the FGEN/SCOPE synchronization program on our website!  I was able to try out the program with a test machine here at National Instruments and I was able to get it working without errors.  What I did was just connect Channel 0 on the PXI-5421 to Channel 0 on the PXI-5122 and run the program (no other changes).  I did not recieve any errors until I changed the record length and sampling rate (what exact rates are you using).  Something I would recommend to check is that all of the data acquires within the specified timeout value.  When the time to acquire all of the specified data is greater than the timeout value I recieved the same  -200284 error code (this means the data could not be acquired within the specified timeout value).

Regards,
Jordan F
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,295 Views)
Haha, ok.  I guess my post is not much help then Smiley Very Happy
Regards,
Jordan F
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4